Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just got registered here and should be getting my 96 Impala SS soon. I'm buying it off of my brother and its at my house right now being stored so no worries of it going anywhere:D

Anyway, the details: 96 Impala SS, dark cherry metallic, 19k original miles!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a beauty. It has a few simple mods whcih will obviously change when i get it hehehehe. It has tints, remote start with alarm, embroidered floor mats(originals in the trunk never used), and a nice stainless steel Maganaflow exhaust system.

So, over the last couple of days i have used my detailing skills to really make it pop. It was in excellent shape but being 15 years old and a dark color, it needed a minor buff. Its been in a heated garage under a cover its whole life so it wasn't bad. Obviously you get the point.

OK, so i did a few things to get it in its current state.
Steps:

1) Wash and clay car to make sure the surface was smooth and free from any contaminants embedded on the finish.
2) Mask off all rubber trim/molding
3)Buff- used Poorboy's Pro Polish with a 6.5" white polishing pad to get out any swirls or minor defects in the paint
4)Buff- used Poorboy's Black Hole show glaze with a 6.5" black finessing pad. This adds a wet look and has no cutting action in the clear-coat, strictly for gloss and that "wet look".
5)Hand waxed with Natty's blue paste wax. This was a bitch to use at first but found out that its actually easy to use, you just have to use VERY light coats. If its slightly thick it is difficult to take off. So it worked out, just hard at first. Finished that today.

So ya, i think it came out pretty nuts. I took several angles just to show the reflections in the paint:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/578378681uwSubN

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
wow...

looks good....
congrats on the nice ride also!
best edvice to give is keep it in good shape and start moddin!!!!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'll admit, when I read that a virgin was getting a 96 DCM with 19,000 on it, I was worried. But according to your list of baby-care items, It looks like the car is in good hands!

Great job on the purchase!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks good....
congrats on the nice ride also!
best edvice to give is keep it in good shape and start moddin!!!!!

Hey thanks! Yeah i am a mod junkie and wont be able to help myself lol. I used to really be in to cars, then kinda drifted away and got in to bikes for a long time. I'm still in to them(you can see the bike in one of the pics by the hood) but the car bug has bit me again since Ive started hanging around car shows and cruise nights alot this summer. And it couldn't work out better to have the Impala right there in front of me. I do need to get tires for it though since they are so so on the tread and one has a split towards the shoulder of the tire, probably just from age. Ah well, its gonna be out on nice days and cruise nights for the most part so ill be able to keep it real nice and easy on the miles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll admit, when I read that a virgin was getting a 96 DCM with 19,000 on it, I was worried. But according to your list of baby-care items, It looks like the car is in good hands!

Great job on the purchase!

Haha it is! My brother has had it for the last 11 years and Ive done all the maintenance on it. I changed the oil once a season with Mobil 1, greased all the fittings, stabilized the gas, hooked it up to a tender, kept it clean blah blah blah. Hell even a month ago i flushed all the brake fluid out and went with synthetic. I cleaned the inside of the rims while they were off too! Ya, babied for sure. My friends would always mess with me and say that its pretty much mine since i do all the work lol. Next up for maintenance is to flush the coolant, and do the fuel filter, plus tires. It should all be good from that point. A few days ago i also ordered the 61?(impala with flags below) impala emblems for the front fenders, red bow tie for the grill, and impala logo valve caps:) Hey its a start :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
heads up!

if your not sure wat tires to go with theres a thread on here
called WHEEL AND TIRE section and at the top is a STICKY
thread called STOCK WHEELS AND TIRES... alot of the guys
have bought diffrent tires to see whitch one work better with
our cars!
anyway check it out if you havent allready found out wat tire your gonna choose!
good luck and keep posting once you do somthing with
the car!

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Welcome and nice looking car!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if your not sure wat tires to go with theres a thread on here
called WHEEL AND TIRE section and at the top is a STICKY
thread called STOCK WHEELS AND TIRES... alot of the guys
have bought diffrent tires to see whitch one work better with
our cars!
anyway check it out if you havent allready found out wat tire your gonna choose!
good luck and keep posting once you do somthing with
the car!

Thanks will do. Yeah i scoped out the tire section this morning and saw a couple that seemed to be a popular choice. I know that i don't need all season tires as it will be out on nice days mostly and no way in hell in the snow! Thats why i have my jeep lol. The Nitto's seem to be good but are about $800 OTD at discount tire. Ouch!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Dam, it looks like it came straigh from the assembly line!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dam, it looks like it came straigh from the assembly line!

Thanks. Yeah its in excellent shape but not that perfect lol. There are a few dings on the passenger side from cars in the garage bumping it on occasion unfortunately. I was probably gonna go to one of those paintless dent removal places sometime in the future as im sure they cold get them out. It kinda bugs me ya know.

I see that your impala has the red bowtie in the grill. I have that ordered and was wondering how it goes on? Does it just go over the old one with double sided tape?

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Welcome! :)
I see that your impala has the red bowtie in the grill. I have that ordered and was wondering how it goes on? Does it just go over the old one with double sided tape?
There's a hole in the back of the grille, behind the bowtie. Best to use a heat gun to warm it up, then push out with a screwdriver or similar. The chrome bowtie will come out and you can put the red one in flush.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome! :)

There's a hole in the back of the grille, behind the bowtie. Best to use a heat gun to warm it up, then push out with a screwdriver or similar. The chrome bowtie will come out and you can put the red one in flush.
Gotcha thanks! I am pretty pumped about the decals as all the pics Ive seen with them on other cars seem to give a nice touch. Hopefully they'll be here this week.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Very nice, you did well getting this car, as I always say; right place right time.

Poorboys is good stuff, gotta love that Natty's Blue!

"I am pretty pumped about the decals as all the pics Ive seen with them on other cars seem to give a nice touch. Hopefully they'll be here this week."

The 61 flags you ordered are they the metal ones or just stickers (decals).

If the claSSic metal, like most of us run. You just grind the pins down in back and stick them on with 3M double sided tape. These are way nicer than stickers.

Take a look at the Nitto INVO's (255/50/17), I just recently got them and they are a great looking and riding tire.

Good Luck with her.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice, you did well getting this car, as I always say; right place right time.

Poorboys is good stuff, gotta love that Natty's Blue!

"I am pretty pumped about the decals as all the pics Ive seen with them on other cars seem to give a nice touch. Hopefully they'll be here this week."

The 61 flags you ordered are they the metal ones or just stickers (decals).

If the claSSic metal, like most of us run. You just grind the pins down in back and stick them on with 3M double sided tape. These are way nicer than stickers.

Take a look at the Nitto INVO's (255/50/17), I just recently got them and they are a great looking and riding tire.

Good Luck with her.

Hey thanks for the info. They are these:

http://impalasuperstore.com/superstore2010/shopexd.asp?id=305

They look like the metal ones but i figured they came ready to go with the 3m tape on them No biggie as a i have some in the garage and have no problem modifying them to work etc. I just thought they sold them ready to go ya know.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Hey guys, i just got registered here and should be getting my 96 Impala SS soon. I'm buying it off of my brother and its at my house right now being stored so no worries of it going anywhere:D

Anyway, the details: 96 Impala SS, dark cherry metallic, 19k original miles!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a beauty. It has a few simple mods whcih will obviously change when i get it hehehehe. It has tints, remote start with alarm, embroidered floor mats(originals in the trunk never used), and a nice stainless steel Maganaflow exhaust system.

So, over the last couple of days i have used my detailing skills to really make it pop. It was in excellent shape but being 15 years old and a dark color, it needed a minor buff. Its been in a heated garage under a cover its whole life so it wasn't bad. Obviously you get the point.

OK, so i did a few things to get it in its current state.
Steps:

1) Wash and clay car to make sure the surface was smooth and free from any contaminants embedded on the finish.
2) Mask off all rubber trim/molding
3)Buff- used Poorboy's Pro Polish with a 6.5" white polishing pad to get out any swirls or minor defects in the paint
4)Buff- used Poorboy's Black Hole show glaze with a 6.5" black finessing pad. This adds a wet look and has no cutting action in the clear-coat, strictly for gloss and that "wet look".
5)Hand waxed with Natty's blue paste wax. This was a bitch to use at first but found out that its actually easy to use, you just have to use VERY light coats. If its slightly thick it is difficult to take off. So it worked out, just hard at first. Finished that today.

So ya, i think it came out pretty nuts. I took several angles just to show the reflections in the paint:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/578378681uwSubN
welcome....where are you located?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts