Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, great site. Hopefully after a little experience with my '96 Roadmaster wagon I will be able to contribute. But for now, I need help, pretty please! I have new 20"x8.5" wheels w/+10 offset and I am wondering if anyone has mounted anything other than the "Old Standby" 255/35/20. I've found a 275/45/20 but I'm not sure it will fit the 8.5" rim. The 275 has a 10.83" section width and the 255 has a 10.04" section width. All real world experience is greatly appreciated! Thanks again,
Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HEY DAVE, i JUST HAVE "THE OLD STAND BY" 255/35/20'S SO i AM NO HELP. However. I hate when my post' are completely ignored so I thought I would at least acknowledge your post bro. Welcome to da club!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
275/45r20 are truly an suv sized tire- almost 30 inches tall! You'll find many healthy discussions on tire sizes in the tire & wheel section, but since you're here...
245/40r20's are just a bit taller, but not quite as wide. Some people will give up a litte width for ride quality.
A new size exists- 255/45r20- at 29 inches its not quite as bad as that 275.
Skip it all, just do 22's :rolleyes:
Good places to play around with tire sizes:
Tirerack.com
discounttire.com
even if you don't buy from them, you get good tech info.
Got pics of your ride?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I hadn't thought about the 40's because I was trying to stay wide, and I figured the wagon suspension is pretty darn comfy, so the 35's would be OK. Maybe I should think that one over a little more- any opinions on ride quality from those running either size would be greatly appreciated. Also, tire brand thoughts/ recommendations/ opinions would be a big help! I have been using the "Tire dimensions made simple" section under the INFO CENTER on www.discounttiredirect.com for my comparisons. You can put in two different sizes and it gives you a side-by-side comparison of height, width, circumference, even MPH differences between the two with your current speedo. I like this feature a lot, but if I don't know for sure what tire/ wheel combo fits the car it doesn't completely solve the problem! As for pictures, I will take some "before" and "after" shots and try to post sometime this year! Right now she is bone stock, white with Woody trim. First steps are wheels/tires and dark tint. Then who knows.... there certainly are a lot of ideas on this board! Thanks again for the help!
Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a white woody? You've seen mine? I'm running a 255/35r20 Wanli now, but switching to the Goodyear Eagle HP 255/35r20 because they are taller and wider. Like that makes sense!

The goodyears ride pretty good and have a HIGH treadwear rating.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SSwagon,
Your wagon looks great. Mine is almost identical, but it's a Buick with the (too) thick black/chrome molding at the bottom of the wood. My wheels are somewhat similar also. Just got them yesterday, only to find out the yum-yum I bought them from sent me two each of two different lug patterns!! I hope he makes good on this. He has great E-bay feedback, so I'm hopeful. I'm just tired of waiting. I would really appreciate some advice on the 255/35/20's. From the comparison sites, it seems like the overall diameter is a lot less than the original size tire/wheel combo. Any negative effects? I really wanted to stay close with that dimension, but get fatter and (obviously)lower profile. Your experience is appreciated. I have been staying away from the Goodyear Eagles due to a bad experience many years ago with treadwear. I am interested to hear about the size difference also. Lastly, since you are in the business, can you give me an idea of max width on an 8.5" wheel. I want to be wide, but I don't want to have trouble with mounting (or look stupid). Sorry to be so long- winded. Thanks for the help,
Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 275/35/20 tires on 8.5" wide rims all the way around on my '96 RMW. The tires fit, look and ride great. The backspacing, by the way is 5.385 inches (I do not know how that compares to +10 offset.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info! I will measure mine and compare the backspacing. BTW, Which model tire are you running?
Dave
EDIT: My backspacing is about 5 3/16", and your 5.385 should be roughly 5 3/8" (3/8 is actually .375) if my math is correct. Sounds like it should not be a problem, unless you have less than 1/4 inch clearance somewhere, which I doubt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
96RMdave: Got pics? I love to see how that looks. That or the 255/40r20 toyo suposedly makes could be my next tire.

If anyone's got pics of that size tire, that could be useful.

FASTBOAT: My spedo is off by a few mph and there's just a little bit more fender space. Nothing lowering won't fix.

I've been joking with the other white woody guys about a WWW (white woody wagon, if you didn't know) web site. At least on cardomain!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.