Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the whole front end of the Cruiser rebuilt, and added new Hawk carbon-metallic pads. They stop VERY well, but generate an enormous amount of dust! is this typical? is it just during some kind of break-in period? If they are going to keep dusting up like that I've got to find some of those Performance Friction pads everyone recommends. Suggestions?

Thanks Y'all!

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If they are anything like the PF carbon metallics dust goes down significantly after a short ammount of time but they will still be more dusty then the average Joe Blow semi-met

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which Hawk pads?

If it is the HP+ pads, that is normal

If it is the HPS pads, they'll dust SOME but not LOTS. In that case, something might be off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have the HP+ they create lots of black dust. It washes off fairly easily if you don't let it build up. They also squeak a lot in gentle street stops. Upside they work very well on the track. Comparing track performance with Ledssled,his HPS pads seem to work about as well on the track with less dust and less squeaking for everyday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd imagine those Hawk pads must be pretty damn good for people to be using them over lifetime warranted Performance Frictions. I admit I tried some EBC Greenstops but went back to the PFs when they were all done after like 10k ($80 from tirerack, too...).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've run the HPS and HP+ pads. Trust me, the HP+ pads take it up another level in performance ;) . Allen, you might not wanna let Terry know that to keep your edge on the track

Kevin : for the kind of performance the HP+ pads get, I'd be willing to pay for the pads (each time). It's still under $100 every 20-30K miles. Yes, they work that much better. The PF Z pads should be in the same range of performance as the HP+, but those aren't gonna come with a lifetime warranty either

BTW, the EBC Greenstuff pads SUCK :D . But I get the feeling you already figured that one out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good Point, Ed.
I probably should mention that Terry & I were running 20 minute lapping sessions on the road course at the Nashville Speedway. He had brand new Autospecialty rotors front and rear and new HPS pads in the front. I was still on my 8 year old stock rotors which have seen better days and my HP+ pads are over a year old and are pretty thin. I think it was my rotors giving up not the pads.

The C-5 brakes go on soon. Gotta find time for the install.

Allen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mmmm... C5 brakes... drool...

Thanks for all the tips. Maybe the dusting will settle down some. I'll check the box and see exactly what pads I got. That's one of the bad things about going to the local auto parts place, they're not always up to date on the latest gear, and their stock of high-zoot parts like these is often quite old. Online seems to be the best bet for fancy car parts.

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine don't seem to put off too much dust after the 7k I have rode w/ them on w/ the cross drilled rotors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Allen, you might not wanna let Terry know that to keep your edge on the track

Too late. You still can't catch me. I'm crazy. I don't need "big brakes" because I don't use them that much anyway. :D

Here a photo taken of me last Saturday:

ccrider - Srrry for the thread hijack. Listen to Ed (Autocrosser) and Allen (AllenIDOXLR8). They know what they are talking about in the brake department.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah! That was a Scott Barnes filename. :D
This is a video capture right before Scott dropped the camera and ran. BTW - The SSled stopped less than a foot from that inside wall.

Thanks for fixing the link. How do you make the photo actually appear in the post rather than just have a hotlink?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Images can be displayed by using the tags as described in this link. Note that it's generally considered "polite" to keep images that are displayed to pretty small file sizes (i.e. like that one) in consideration of folks on "Geo Metro Sized" internet connections

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand. I have a Geo Metro connection myself right now. I haven't had high speed installed in the new house yet. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Hey! It worked. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Kevin : for the kind of performance the HP+ pads get, I'd be willing to pay for the pads (each time). It's still under $100 every 20-30K miles. Yes, they work that much better. The PF Z pads should be in the same range of performance as the HP+, but those aren't gonna come with a lifetime warranty either

BTW, the EBC Greenstuff pads SUCK :D . But I get the feeling you already figured that one out
I just checked Autozone's website and the PFC Z-rated pads, while being $15 more to buy than the regular PFCs, still offer the same LLT warranty. That might be worth looking into for some people. The only PFC pads available for the rear (on those cars with discs) are the regular ones, but there is still an LLT warranty on those.

On the EBC pads: The cold performance of the EBC pads was the best I'd ever experienced. They also did not fade noticably when hot. Rotor wear was minimal due to them being an organic pad. Dusting, however, was bad. And the wear was REALLY bad. For the $80, I'd not recommend them. If they were cheaper or if there was a lifetime warranty, I'd certainly consider them again (for the street).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IIRC, the Greenstuff is recommended for lighter vehicles. I've had Greenstuff on my '98 Grand Prix for the last two years, 15,000+ miles. Plenty of life left on them when I inspected this spring.

The Green had definetely improved stopping over stock pads and no dust issues at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.