Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered some new rear rotors from Rockauto for $17.21 each! Gaurdian brand part # 52125417. I called csutomer service to verify that was for a brake rotor. I am sure they are offshore products but at that price a dad with five kids will try them out. I will post some pics when they come in. There is also a discount code available on our site for an additional 5 %.
Does anyone have any experience with gaurdian in general or these rotors in particular?

Thanks, Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i can understand your situation, but i don't think brakes is where i would try and save money. hope they work out for you. just my 2 cents

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, if they are suspect in any way I will not install them. However the replacement items do have to meet a DOT spec. to be allowed, just like some of the replacement light systems for our cars. I think the cost savings may be in the metal composition and therefore it's longevity and or resistance to warping. I am sure Gaurdian industries does not want failure prone material on my car any more than I do.
-Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and the studs. they have already had problems with some of the other cheap rotors with the studs turning. a nightmare. be careful

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear rotors on our cars don't have studs.

Likely "skimp" area on these will be the rear cheek thickness. Namely, they'll be "ok" for low-heat stuff (i.e. highway, not getting too nuts in town, etc) but I wouldn't trust them under racing conditions which are gonna throw a lot of heat into the rotors.

If it comes to a choice, spend the good bucks on the front brakes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pleaase forgive me for any screwups or bad grammer. a fith of paulmauson and pabst blue ribbon x 12 = f---up any way i have a partner thet needs rotors any condition as long as semiserviucerable and caliper breackets. please send a price and total to fix this ****zzs. thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input Ed. My 9c1 had some new GM rotors put on the front @ 20k before I got it
{mechanic at the Fairhope city garage gave me the file
, also a new trans @ <6k } But anyway I will not be doing any track events, and any of the 'street fun' I have these days is not long enough to put much heat in the brakes anyway. I have some Powerstop 911 pads to go back on , so we shall see. They might make short work of the rotor. LMK where the 'cheek' dimension is and I will try to get a meas. and/or pics when they come in.

DON2- Thanks for the kind words - he is the youngest of our two girls and three boys. My oldest son [8] said the kid across the street told him what a 'donut' was- "it was when you spun a truck around in the mud" I promised to show him a real donut when the police car got back on the road and we found a safe place :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing like a proper education :D . I am sure he will remember for years to come. I remember my Grandma squealing the tires with me when I was little (Yeah, she is a riot!). :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To define the "cheek" thickness :</font>
  1. Measure the overall thickness of the rotor. With a new rear rotor, it should be right around 0.80"</font>
  2. Next, measure the thickness of the vented "gap" in the rotor.</font>
  3. Subtract the gap thickness from the overall thickness, and divide by 2. This will give the thickness of each cheek.</font>
Thicker cheeks mean more material to absorb heat. And better heat absorption means that the rotor will stand up better to "heavy" usage not to mention last longer.

FWIW, stock rear rotors from Dal are surprisingly cheap AND are pretty good. For all of the brake mods I've done on my SS (TCE Wilwood fronts, Wilwood rear calipers, upgraded lines, better fluid, better pads, bolt mod), I'll mention that my rear rotors are stock AC Delcos ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rotors came in and look good. Here are some photo's javascript:ShowImage('http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=000000&bg=FFFFFF&migration=1&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/646000-64699 9/646779_54_full.jpg', 575, 461);

Cannot figure out image hosting right now so go to my cardomain page for pics.

As to the cheek thickness-
one measured .260 wheel face, .250 middle/vanes,.265 axle face for a total of .775
the other-
.290 wheel face, .235 middle/vanes, .269 axle face for a total of .794

So it looks like the tolerances are not too tight but I do not have a U.S.A. Source to check against-Does someone?

They are on and after my new caliper brackets go on tonight I will be in business

-matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do this for a living. Or at least I use to. I work for TRW Automotive and we supply rotors and drums to the big 3. They are shutting our plant down due to the overseas pricing.(Jan.06')

The cheaper rotors are still made to similar specs. The only difference would be the run out of the product. Hence the reason you found 3 different measurements in the surface areas. But GM, Ford, or any big 3 supplier will make sure these are in specs at all times. Meaning they will check one part per layer when they are shipped a pallet.

Hope this makes sense. Just trying to help out. I would use them but in all respect they are that exact OEM's. BEst of luck.

DJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DJ-
Sorry to hear about the shutdown, can't help but feel a pang of guilt with my china made rotors.
I took myself out of the papermill industry recently because the writing is on the wall.
Anyway do you know what kind of tolerances TRW would use for a product like this? It looks like there is a .030 variance in 'cheek' thickness.
BTW I am using a mocrometer for the overall width but must use a caliper for the individual measurements so some of the variance is likely in my method.
thanks, Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.