Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally replaced the tired stock injectors last week on my daily driver 95 FWB with new Standard FJ164 units. Did it with 160,002 miles on the odometer. Should have done it ages ago. Installation is a bit of a trick--seating the O-rings in the manifold is a little more difficult because the replacement injectors can't accept the nylon backing collars from the original injectors, but a little wiggling/rotation/pressure took care of it.

The old fuel crossover tube O-rings ones were hard and would have leaked on re-installation, so Babywag's O-ring kit was very helpful. A big thanks to him for kitting these: https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/8-parts-sale-wanted/1314018-fuel-rail-o-ring-kit-s.html

Smoother, more power, and on a 400-mile roundtrip I routinely do, mileage has jumped from 21.5 mpg before to 24 mpg now, with AC on. Can't complain!

Now I just have to deal with the slight leak from the driver's exhaust manifold--sheared rear bolt...SIGH...

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
I can appreciate doing this. I swapped In a new set of Accell Injectors recently and the car ran so much better. Haven't tracked mileage that much since it's harder to keep my foot out of the gas now that it runs so well but I'm sure it's better.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Oh thanks guys for planting this seed.....now you know what's going to happen. That's a bit sarcastic and honest at the same time.

This will be on my list of things I should do in all of my free time.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I need to change mine. I'm pretty sure I have a pisser ehh a leaker as the oil is gassy in no time. Starts pretty crappy too sometimes. Slow to build fuel pressure. That or ill just change just the leaky ones and be cheap when I take the fuel rail off. Its insane they want 80 for some crap multi tech injector. I think I got goofy TBI injectors for way less than that.

Deal is.. This Ethanol fuel really kills pumps and injectors on old cars. They say it does not. Its BS. It does. I started running non ethanol fuel on a cost. Only because I can find it allover now. What a difference in performance. No more "shakes" in the hot heat at idle. Idles so smooth. It stores very well too. When you change a fuel filter the gas does not burn your skin if a drop of gas gets on your arm like ethanol fuel does. What a huge fraud ethanol fuel is....

So whats the deal? Stock injectors? Accel? Ford Injectors? Bosch injectors? But don't those require some tuning? I can probably figure it out.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
I need to change mine. I'm pretty sure I have a pisser ehh a leaker as the oil is gassy in no time. Starts pretty crappy too sometimes. Slow to build fuel pressure. That or ill just change just the leaky ones and be cheap when I take the fuel rail off. Its insane they want 80 for some crap multi tech injector.

So whats the deal? Stock injectors? Accel? Ford Injectors? Bosch injectors? But don't those require some tuning? I can probably figure it out.
Yeah $80 per for a stocker x8 = $600ish....I don't think so. That's why I had my eye on a set of 8 24lb Accell Injectors from Summit or Jegs (can't remember which) and the kit of 8 was about $300. Once installed, I could not be happier.

You do also have the option to send yours out to one of the handful of companies that will rebuild and flow test yours. If you can afford the downtime the cost there is usually in the $20 per injector range.

EDIT - More info here on what I did....
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1308826-what-fuel-injectors-get.html

·
Registered
485 Posts
Deal is.. This Ethanol fuel really kills pumps and injectors on old cars. They say it does not. Its BS. It does. I started running non ethanol fuel on a cost. Only because I can find it allover now. What a difference in performance. No more "shakes" in the hot heat at idle. Idles so smooth. It stores very well too. When you change a fuel filter the gas does not burn your skin if a drop of gas gets on your arm like ethanol fuel does. What a huge fraud ethanol fuel is....

I will defend to the death how terrible ethanol is, so I'm right there with you on that one. And I'm from Iowa, the heart of corn country so I know what a vested interest our farmers have in this garbage, but I still rail against it whenever the topic comes up. Not to get political, but I really wish the potus hadn't just approved winter grade blends be allowed year-round, I have a hard enough time finding non-ethanol fuel where I live as it is. And for what it's worth, some of the biggest proponents of ethanol fuel are starting to come out against it now.

It's been around long enough and has seen sufficient widespread use that its impact on all things including the environment can be properly studied and turns out it's worse than standard dino-fuel pretty much across the board. The only benefits are to the ones profiting off the massive subsidies needed to keep it priced competitively, (so politicians, farmers, refiners, politicians, etc). I know how hard our farmers work and I know they're tickled to death for the increased demand and profit that ethanol fuel brings them, but we really need to find a way to kill that junk off.

Also, I have multiple LT1 powered vehicles around here, I should probably order a few of those o-ring kits. Somebody remind me to do that when I have a few extra bucks in my bank account. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
[SNIP]

It's interesting to read about a regular user of NON-Ethanol fuel. I know about how bad it is for the fuel system like everyone has written here, but haven't had an experience where I can actually feel a difference in how my vehicles run.

I only know of one pump, and it's not real convenient for me. I'd have to sorta have to plan out my fuel fill-ups on the weekend. I'm not opposed to that, at this point I have just thought of it as a nice thing to do, because at this point is it going to make a difference since I've been running the 'May contain up to 10% ethanol" fuels.

I am currently finishing up an engine & transmission (Yep a 4L60E) rebuild on my 1998 Tahoe, and I plan on starting this build using non-ethanol fuel going to the one pump I wrote about.

I'll just have to start making it a way of life, and have to continue to look out for more NON-Ethanol pumps.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Its hot as hell here, Something has to happen to the fuel when your idling for long periods of time. Maybe it starts vaporizing. These stop lights are 5 minutes+ . Idling. Everything running on high. Everything OLD always had a minor "heat shake" Went away when it was below I dunno 90? which is 2 days out of the year. Now. Nothing. The fuel also stores ALOT better. I just dumped some fuel I had in a generator from last year, put it in the car It was still clear! Not that color means anything. Its a year old. Try that with Ethanol it will be orange in 2 months and absorb the humidity here. Ethanol fuel also helped rust a steel gas tank on the same generator too. That was fun to clean. It was all I could find at the time. Then again all those things are Chinese anyway, Chinese steel is trash. I want to see how fast these American cars built in CHINA are going to hold up. I think Wawa's sells ethanol fuel at most locations. Racetrac and Wawa's sure does here.

Oh. If you have anything 2 stroke. Also.. Non Ethanol! I had ZERO problems since. Fuel lines used to fail, anything rubber would swell. The diaphragm in the carb would harden and tear in no time, primer bulk would shatter in just a few months.

I swear a fuel pump died in 40k from Ethanol fuel. And the one before that failed at 30k. Ill see if it lasts longer on pure gas. No I don't have a wiring problem killing pumps. Checked that

I really have to go for a long ride and log it, See if MPG is up. Fuel trims. ETC.

·
Registered
976 Posts
To store ethanol gotta use a treatment, or yeah it'll be no good.
Using treatment I've had no issues. Never had any problems with my vehicles and even ran e85 for ~year in my Jeep.
These and other vehicles just need a tune to run the e10 crap.
Gas hasn't been gas for decades. No way I'm paying for e0 here in SoCal!!

My neighbor once borrowed my wood chipper and did me a favor by filling the tank. I asked him to run it dry...
~9 months went by and what a mess I found when I went to fire it up and use it. Had to buy a new carb for the thing. It was just nasty/gummed up/corroded.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
If in a month or so your gas smells like varnish, you're screwed. Luckily here there are several stations close by that sell sort of gas. No ethanol. One station, Mark's, (Imagine that) sells 106 octane race fuel. Probably near Cali prices. :surprise: Hey Babe It's good to see that folks give reviews and you're getting Kudos.
I have a question on injector services but will post in the correct section.

Mark: Snowman-33

1 - 11 of 11 Posts