Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, The rear seems to sit nice and low, but the front don't seem to sit much lower at all.
Is there away, spring compressors or something to lower the front an inch or so?? Or does this seem right to you?
Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How long have they been on the car? Had time to settle yet? If they have take em out and cut em down some and re-install em.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually it's probably the rear springs that are the problem. i had to 86 my rear intrax on account of them sagging.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you see if they are seated right without taking it all apart again?

I do know about Intrax sagging in the rear, but the thing is the front dont really seem lower at all from stock.
I'm afraid If I bag the rear, or get differnt springs in the rear it will sit the same as it did before. Then whats the point? Augh?!? Always something?!?

Thanks for the help guys!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Intrax will sag really bad on a wagon. They did on my Caprice.
I cut 1/3 of a coil IIRC, off the front.
Take them out and use a cut off wheel. Works great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only way I could tell if they are seated right is to take it back apart. Which you are going to need to do even if you decide to cut a coil. If the spring was aligned at the top properly, 1 or more of the alignment forks may be bent over and not let the spring set in place correctly. I would get the floor jack and tools back out and get to wrenchin :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do this weekend (I hope?)

Now how do I make sure it's seated proper? Is there pics of this?

Basicly it has to sit in the grooves on top, make sure nothing is bent or in the way of the spring, and align the end of the spring with the two holes in the bottom???

Or is there more? Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had the same problem the first time I did mine (Intrax). What I found is that since the springs are way fatter than stock, it was harder to get them to sit properly around the "teeth" on top. What I did was layed on my back under the car, looking directly up at the pocket, set it into place with the control arm hanging, and once perfectly in place, had my brother jack up the control arm while I held them in place. Brought the front down a couple inches once set correctly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by OC*SS:
Had the same problem the first time I did mine (Intrax). What I found is that since the springs are way fatter than stock, it was harder to get them to sit properly around the "teeth" on top. What I did was layed on my back under the car, looking directly up at the pocket, set it into place with the control arm hanging, and once perfectly in place, had my brother jack up the control arm while I held them in place. Brought the front down a couple inches once set correctly.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*ditto

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...I will add from the post above.

The lower control arms will have two small holes in the coil pocket (water drain?). These intrax springs can go in either way, there is no up or down. Just keep a end of the coil spring between the holes and they will be "clocked".

Stock coil isolators (rubber round thingy) are thin and usually look like hell when they come out. It would be a idea to change the isolators to a poly one that can be thicker if you choose.

I HAD Intrax on my 93 and it appeared to be higher in the front allthough measuring the frame, it was level all around. So I hacked about 1 inch height off the fronts, about more than half a coil. Wow it looked good and low, but that car is back to stock height and sold!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.