Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all, i have been introduced to a few people in the misc thread and was told i should put some pics of the wagon here... so here we go

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, i like a very wide aray of diffrent things, is there anything i need to look for on this thing? somethings that could be potitially bad or may become bad? there is one thing i cannot figure out... the dash lights dont work, the gauge lights, heater controles and radio...my thoughts are the headlight switch, does that go bad or what other suggestions do you have?

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
is there anything i need to look for on this thing? somethings that could be potitially bad or may become bad?
Rust. Usually starts in the quarters behind each wheel and in the spare tire well.

there is one thing i cannot figure out... the dash lights dont work, the gauge lights, heater controles and radio...my thoughts are the headlight switch, does that go bad or what other suggestions do you have?
The switch does carry the entire electrical load for the headlights and tends to get hot. It's possible you've got some toasted internals. A volt/ohm meter is your friend. Check all fuses, fuse sockets and wiring for happiness.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
thank you, i like a very wide aray of diffrent things, is there anything i need to look for on this thing? somethings that could be potitially bad or may become bad? there is one thing i cannot figure out... the dash lights dont work, the gauge lights, heater controles and radio...my thoughts are the headlight switch, does that go bad or what other suggestions do you have?
It could be the dimmer switch. They have been known to go south occasionally.
Watch for leaks around the large quarter windows.
Fuel pumps if you run it a lot with less than a 1/4 tank of gas.
Fuel tubing cracks between the pump and exit hose in the tank if you use too much injector cleaner.
Horn button switches. (there is a thread or two on this subject)
Heater motor speed control. (located on the bottom of the PS duct)
Electric antenna nylon extender cable.
Alternator bearings.
Steering intermediate shaft rag joints.
Rear axles and seals after about 200K.
The dash pads tend to crack after a while.
Front window washer fittings at the exit from the cowl.
Wire clips in the tailgate for the slots.
And last but not least, the infamous sliders in the window tracks.
That is all I can think of at this point.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for the information, i will definatly check out the switch later on today, the antenna definatly doesnt go up and down either, i just didnt hook up the power wire when i put in the diffrent stereo

·
Registered
513 Posts
fred forgot the good old shift interlock cable on the steering column. That only lets you move into gear when the brake pedal is applied. You can disable it like i did, And the shift on the column does break sooner or later.

Rear hatch popper will get a crack in the mounting bracket and stop working due to no ground. then it is very hard to get your hatch/tailgate open!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
do you need a good tan steering wheel? I took mine out and have it and the airbag off in the barn. It was ok i just dont care for airbags!!

$45 shipped to you for both wheel and bag.

thank you for the information, i will definatly check out the switch later on today, the antenna definatly doesnt go up and down either, i just didnt hook up the power wire when i put in the diffrent stereo

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does she come with the horn buttons? i am very interested, i just cant do much till after the holidays

i did however get the headlight switch out and took to part, this is what i found

and i also found this purple and white wire... does anyone know were this may go? it doesnt go to the radio and theres no were close

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you are correct on the galaxie, its a 64 500 with an inline 6, 3 on the tree, that ones my brothers then the gold one behind that is infact a 1969 buick wildcat with a 455 originally a 430 which is mine, then there is also a 1986 jaguar xjs v12 thats my brothers... it doesnt run heres my photobucket link if you would like to wander round

http://s167.photobucket.com/home/i_steel_free_things

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
does she come with the horn buttons? i am very interested, i just cant do much till after the holidays

i did however get the headlight switch out and took to part, this is what i found

and i also found this purple and white wire... does anyone know were this may go? it doesnt go to the radio and theres no were close
Looks like a good one to me.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Nice bare wire end. I do not see a purple and white wire in my schematics. Is it hot at off...ignition on? Did you tug on it and watch where it goes under the dash? You may be able to follow it to another place. Let us know where it goes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, i havent ran it to see were it may lead...i will get to that tomorrow, everything you see is basicly the way i picked it up...thanks for all the help and info so far

·
Registered
513 Posts
pm sent to you, i have a headlight switch also. I will look on my 92 CC for the purple wire too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts