Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Name is Tyler just purchased this 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser off Marketplace for $1700. Trailerd it home due to a leak in the heater core hose, already fixed as soon as I got home. Very long term goal is a 383 under the hood to replace the very tired 305. Short term goal is to figure out what all has already been done,(looks like it has belltech spindles up front) fix all the glaring issues in regards to suspension, One rear shock is completely broken off of rear axle, I assume all bushings and ball joints etc need replaced. Front end was backed into so I need a new hood, a new grill and pass. headlight. General tuneup. clean the interior etc. Should be a fun project to cruise around it.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
750 Posts
Welcome!
How'd you get such a good looking Custom Cruiser for so cheap?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!
How'd you get such a good looking Custom Cruiser for so cheap?
Friend of mine found it on Marketplace. It was pretty smashed up which I was able to straighten enough to get the hood to stay closed, Really wish the grill wasnt totally ruined, I have a feeling that is going to be hard to find and expensive. It had a leak on the hose from the head to the heater core, I bypassed the heater for the time being and ran a hose from the head to the radiator. It is showing 155,000 miles but the speedometer is not working and who knows for how long. Now time to replace basically all of the suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's pretty good work!
Sucks about the grille tho. Those cars are getting rare, so the grilles are pretty hard to find. I've seen a few OCCs in my local pick n pulls, I'll have to keep my eye out for a grille.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I just need to figure out rear suspension. The stock air compressor is completely ruined and one rear shock is broken in two. Guess I'll just throw some normal gas shocks back there.

·
Premium Member
1993 RMW, 1996 RMW, 1992 OCC
551 Posts
Hey there's a white grille on ebay right now:

They're SUPER rare. This is the 2nd one to pop up in a year. I bought the previous one that came up

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey there's a white grille on ebay right now:

They're SUPER rare. This is the 2nd one to pop up in a year. I bought the previous one that came up
Super rare and super expensive. I guess that makes sense, that is the exact one that I need too. I did talk the guy down $300 when I bought the wagon making that grill only $50....

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Bahaha! I paid $300 for mine 🤣 Yeah they're not cheap. I think Fred Kiehl has a spare that he said he'd part with when he dies, so you could just wait a few years and see what happens... but I like Fred, so I'd rather he not die

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Incidentally, most other grilles will fit fine. You could put a Roadmaster (wagon) or even an Impala SS grille up there. That's what's currently on mine. But the grille is what gives the car most of its identity. In the case of the Custom Cruiser, that identity is also provided with the lower cladding, which was unique to that car and gave it a very distinct character. But the Oldsmobile grille is ubiquitous through the decades. No other manufacturer had that look up front. I personally think it's worth retaining it. Hence why I paid $300 for one that wasn't even the right color.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
3,000 Posts
Incidentally, most other grilles will fit fine. You could put a Roadmaster (wagon) or even an Impala SS grille up there.
The Roadmaster wagon grille is unique and does not fit any other model. It is taller, which is why the RMW bumper has that contour in the center.

I would just buy an SS grille from Rock Auto and call it done.

I do have a white hood for sale. $40 and it's yours.

I may also have a headlight.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Is the Olds Custom Cruiser front bumper fascia still on it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts