Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The untimely death of my trans on the way home from Wagonfest West 1 finally pushed me into action (when you get lemons... make lemonade :)). I finished my motor and have ordered a tranny from a local shop. The new trans has a much beefier 3rd and 4th plus Corvette servo, hardened everything yadda, yadda, yadda....... good for 400hp.
The new motor is a 4 bolt main TBI truck motor that I picked up used on Craigslist, did a partial teardown to get a look at, then put back together (it was NICE and fresh inside).
While I was at it I couldn't resist setting up my TPI injection just for a look..(I will continue to run TBI for now until I get the fuel lines and cables sorted out.
Here's a pic...

I hope to have it back on the road next week!

·
Registered
511 Posts
GO FOR IT RUSS!

Holler when ya need help buddy.

Dave

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GO FOR IT RUSS!

Holler when ya need help buddy.

Dave
Actually, I expect the fuel lines to be a cake walk.... I just need to spend the time on it, I could do that with TBI anyway, it's a royal pain to jam a pressure gauge fitting between the TB and the hardline. If you could PM me with all the info you have on you Lokar cables I'd appreciate it. I bought the three cable bracket, but I need info on the throttle, TV and cruise cables.

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
499 Posts
Looks nice, Russ! Makes me feel less responsible for the tranny. Your wife is never coming back here, is she? :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks nice, Russ! Makes me feel less responsible for the tranny. Your wife is never coming back here, is she? :)
Oh, She's calmed down a lot since then.........cwm1
Tomato/Tomato. She thinks I have to put in a tranny, I think I GET to put in a tranny! ;)
I can't wait to get it back on the road, I feel like a kid the week before Christmas!

Did we pick a weekend for Wagonfest West 1.5 yet?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Actually, it's a royal pain to jam a pressure gauge fitting between the TB and the hardline.
On the TPI system there is a fitting on the fuel rail, at the passenger side rear, where all the vacuum lines are. You can attach a Fuel pressure gauge there. I have an ACTRON from Advance Auto. Originally I had purchased an Accel gauge , small unit, that could be left on. It was defective, it leaked, sprayed fuel all over the place, and started a fire under the hood... NOT GOOD.

If you could PM me with all the info you have on you Lokar cables I'd appreciate it. I bought the three cable bracket, but I need info on the throttle, TV and cruise cables.
I bought two of the three cable, the throttle and Tranny cable. If you are after the cruise control cable, I was told I need to send my old cable in, and it would be modified to work. I never bothered, as I'm not much as a cruise control user. Haven't had any issues related to the other two thus far.

If you are having your tranny rebuilt (vs putting in a T56) Be aware that the guts from a 4L65 will retro fit into it.

The 4L60 has four gears surrounding the input and output shafts to the form the planetaries. The 4l65 has FIVE gears on the planetaries, so you can load about 20-25% more torque into it. The parts will set you back about $300.00 more of the rebuild. They are a direct fit. Consider a Trans-go Hi-perf kit as the same time that it's gutted open. You'll never want to have to open the tranny again. So nail it the first time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MMMMM,
Tasty new transmissiony goodness...........:):):):)

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Cool!

keep the pics coming, never enough pics. ;-)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Russ, what kind of fuel spark management system did you decide to go with, along with what matching ECM? Are you going to go EBL or GM speed density 7730?

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
On the TPI system there is a fitting on the fuel rail, at the passenger side rear, where all the vacuum lines are. You can attach a Fuel pressure gauge there. I have an ACTRON from Advance Auto. Originally I had purchased an Accel gauge , small unit, that could be left on. It was defective, it leaked, sprayed fuel all over the place, and started a fire under the hood... NOT GOOD.

I bought two of the three cable, the throttle and Tranny cable. If you are after the cruise control cable, I was told I need to send my old cable in, and it would be modified to work. I never bothered, as I'm not much as a cruise control user. Haven't had any issues related to the other two thus far.
I think I had left the fuel pressure gauge on the rails for russ. The problem was the fitting faced the wrong way and the gauge was upside down.

My dad said, "turn your head to read it dummy." :p

Yeah go wit the aftermarket throttle cables, My use of stock 3rd gen F body throttle cable, and TV looked like poop but it did work :D

I belive hes going to run EBL :D

Sometimes I regret selling the TPI, but I couldnt afford to get a different base or runners. :(

Happy to see you got it togetther just wish it was more people doing this when I did mine LOL.

Looks so good though, awesome.

BTW my car would brake stand like a MOFO.

BTW how'd you get all the paint off, it look good when I first done it, but it got scratched up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Russ, what kind of fuel spark management system did you decide to go with, along with what matching ECM? Are you going to go EBL or GM speed density 7730?
EBL,
But... for the time being, I'm still going to set up as TBI. I love EBL, and it will run the engine as TBI or TPI with ease...and it works with the stock engine harness (for tbi Caprice I had to move 1 pin). Plug in your laptop and start data logging. the VE learn feature starts making minor changes to the bin as you drive, then you save the bin. I can't recommend EBL enough, the more I play with it the more I like it! You just tweek a bin, flash it and go. If you don't like the change, you just switch back to the previous bank and tweek another bin.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Almost there..... as usual three steps forward, one step back, then off to the parts store, stop at Taco Bell..........

The drive shaft needed U-joints, then turned out to be bent... All better now and it should be smoooooooth
The tranny builder installed the wrong TCC connector :mad:. They are really sorry and will have the correct one for me Monday.....

I also ordered the correct speed sensor housing, drive gear and driven gear so I can finally get my speedo right for the 3.73's.

SOOOO CLOSE!
I forgot to get pix of the empty engine bay (but I hate pictures of greasy engine bays anyway). Soon... very soon!:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I had left the fuel pressure gauge on the rails for russ.

Looks so good though, awesome.
BTW how'd you get all the paint off, it look good when I first done it, but it got scratched up.
The gauge is there, I will use it for sure.... I used paint stripper and my wire wheel to clean everything up. Then I used what Corvette Central claimed was the correct TPI and valve cover paint. It looks good on the TPI but I don't think it is correct for the valve covers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well,
It's running. I need to do some data logging and bin tweeking for the new motor but...... it rained here today and WOOOOOOOHOOOOO is it fun to drive in the wet! :D

It's gonna be real fun when I have it dialed in.

·
Registered
511 Posts
when you did the AIR delete did you prgram it out of the system?

Here's a great article from Thirdgen.org to help. Basically two components to it, change the O2mv in the lean/rich threshold and the temperature at which A.I.R kicks on.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/214321-removing-smog-pump-air.html

Hope it helps. Once you do this, your datalogging won't be skewed by it being an extraneous part of your BLM equations.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
when you did the AIR delete did you prgram it out of the system?

Here's a great article from Thirdgen.org to help. Basically two components to it, change the O2mv in the lean/rich threshold and the temperature at which A.I.R kicks on.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/214321-removing-smog-pump-air.html

Hope it helps. Once you do this, your datalogging won't be skewed by it being an extraneous part of your BLM equations.

Killed my plugs, and was throwing BLACK smoke, and stumbling.

Because I didnt do that. :(

Adjust the VE that is, after the delete

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't tuned it off, I should ask rBob about it. Most of my changes have been thru VE learn and weeking the trigger points for some things (because my speedo was off)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Speedo question. I realize that the proper gear set is important for your dash speedomoter/odometer, but I also found a table in the constants section that asked for how many pulses per mile in my $8d mask I realize you are in a different mask , but look for something titled VSS PULSES.

I doubt it would correct how you look in your speedo, :D but would correct several calibrations and functions that the ECM uses that are based on vehicle speed, not engne rpm. As an approximation to help you, the GM assumption before gear and tire changes is 4000 pulses per mile. When I added my Nordskog dash and did the setup routine, I actually had 4208 pulses per mile. I entered that figure into the VSS table the next time I did programming. I'm still on 3.08 gears and 295/60 rear tires.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts