Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed a AC Delco Opti, new wires, plugs, starter and coolant temp sensor. Car wont start. Have plenty of fuel getting there. Pulled a plug, got no spark. Put a plug and wire on the coil, got good spark. This is my second Optispark I have tried in two days. Have not tried to see/hear if the fuel injectors are working/opening. Could the Ignition Control Module ICM be bad? What if my timing is off?

Well the reason I started doing this was cold starts were fine but when warm I had to let the car sit for a while before it would start. Then t would run rough for a few minutes then clear up. Then the other day I got a misfire in one cylinder that would not go away. SO thats where Im at.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
if you got spark at the coil and no spark at plugs, I would be thinking about checking whats going on inside the opti cap and rotor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I thought so I put an new opti on it. AC Delco. All I did was pull it off and put a new on one. Now no spark.

If I moved the crankshaft, timing would be off but still wouldn't I get spark?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
its possible to mistime the opti and force the rotor into the cap.
then spark is not going to plug wires.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought so I put an new opti on it. AC Delco. All I did was pull it off and put a new on one. Now no spark.

If I moved the crankshaft, timing would be off but still wouldn't I get spark?
Your timing is not off. The opti only fits on properly one way - are you getting the dowel pin in the notch, and is the opti fitted tight against the timing cover? Don't force it. When properly installed it will easily seat, and the timing will be right, unless the chain slipped a tooth which is very unlikely. See second sticky above in this section - Sherlock 9C1 - go down to optispark install. Read, read, read......it's all there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Just went and red that post + a few others. Did everything he said to do but with no luck. Hope the new opti isnt bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I got spark now at the plugs. F'ed with the coil wire as you guys suggested and it works but now it wont run. Sprayed some staring fluid in the TB and it will fire once but that's it. Though my fuel pressure was good but how exactly do I check?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Ok I got spark now at the plugs. F'ed with the coil wire as you guys suggested and it works but now it wont run. Sprayed some staring fluid in the TB and it will fire once but that's it. Though my fuel pressure was good but how exactly do I check?
whats the FPressure @?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just pulled the line off the fuel filter. The other day it was dumping out of there with the key on, today nothing. Not a drop.
Also I did a t test someone posted about a wire by the fuse box where you run 12v to it to hear if the fuel pump comes on. well mine does not come on.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
$15 will get you an good FP tester at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
When it rains, it pours. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that's life. Changed the fuel pump. all good now. Was driving home from my buddy's garage and it started dumping steam out the coolant reservoir cap. One fan was on but hopefully it was just low on coolant. We'll see tomorrow...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts