Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I know a bit about these cars but am here for more help. I did the AC system less the evaporator but now I need to do my opti.

94 caprice lt1 with 179k miles. Shorty headers, cat delete, cold air intake, throttle body bypass, lowering spindles, 180 thermostat, few other things

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Hey great. Another member. Welcome. Where are you located? Just checking.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey great. Another member. Welcome. Where are you located? Just checking.

I'm in Richland, WA. Its the desert

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
I'm in Richland, WA. Its the desert
Again, welcome. I always look to see if there is someone nearby that wants to work together on our cars. As far as the desert, BTDT. Little different situation though.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Hey welcome! quote:"....I need to do my opti"

Boy did you ever come to the right place. Numerous great threads from many numerous smartees on here on rebuilding front to back, and latest intel on the current-worst and possibly passable aftermarket. Happy searching --- and then asking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey welcome! quote:"....I need to do my opti"

Boy did you ever come to the right place. Numerous great threads from many numerous smartees on here on rebuilding front to back, and latest intel on the current-worst and possibly passable aftermarket. Happy searching --- and then asking.
I've already read a lot about it. I'm thinking of starting it tonight.

Welcome I live down the street from you I live in Kennewick, post some pics.
Shes not pretty and leaks oil but when it runs its pretty fast! Hopefully it will be more reliable after I do the opti. Anywhere local that I can get some interior cosmetics restored on the cheap?
20190510_173906_1562037423087.jpg 20190609_151822_1562037775177.jpg 20190609_151822_1562037775177.jpg 20190609_151822_1562037775177.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Who's Jonesing that spoiler? Now, OP. Start checking local PnPs for parts that are no longer made or available from any dealer. Fred has lots of parts and I'm sure as soon as you post your needs he will help. He's straight up to do business with. There are others here too. We have to save as many of these cars as we can.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who's Jonesing that spoiler? Now, OP. Start checking local PnPs for parts that are no longer made or available from any dealer. Fred has lots of parts and I'm sure as soon as you post your needs he will help. He's straight up to do business with. There are others here too. We have to save as many of these cars as we can.

Previous owner put the spoiler on. Not sure what its for but onviously not this car lol. Tbh i kinda like it though. Might keep it might not. Obviously it needs to be painted but so does the whole car. I've had the car up to 120mph and at those speeds I feel like it is doing something.

I can't find any pnps with any caprices let alone ones with my color interior, especially in good condition

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Most of the interior stuff got good response in your other thread (i.e. plastic epoxy and SEM/DupliColor). Parts of the car have apparently been painted. Unless you personally know by who (whom?) then maybe not such good quality, so some prep by you could pay off in spades before taking to a shop for sprayout. In order of likelihood, and aggravation to fix, you either got a A.) leaking intake, or, B.) leaky oil filter adapter, or, C.) leaking main seal. Several prior threads on each. At least put the car in the right mental state and give it a good cleaning eh.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome! You probably need to invest in some arm rest savers. I do like that spoiler.
Arm rest savers? Have a link? Mine are already pretty well shot tbh

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of the interior stuff got good response in your other thread (i.e. plastic epoxy and SEM/DupliColor). Parts of the car have apparently been painted. Unless you personally know by who (whom?) then maybe not such good quality, so some prep by you could pay off in spades before taking to a shop for sprayout. In order of likelihood, and aggravation to fix, you either got a A.) leaking intake, or, B.) leaky oil filter adapter, or, C.) leaking main seal. Several prior threads on each. At least put the car in the right mental state and give it a good cleaning eh.
If I do the repairs I'll paint the interior parts myself with the SEM. Gotta look up the color but I did my Camaro parts and they look great. SEM wasn't an option for my color interior but the OER paint worked well.

Yea she needs a bath inside and out pretty badly. Tbh it's more work then i have time for these days though and that's why I haven't done it since I bought it. Figured I'll clean it as I restore it. Took me 4 days (maybe 4-5 hours each day) to do the opti (and water pump + plugs and wires) and a few hours were just cleaning the timing chain cover and surrounding area. Looks much better now but the rest of the engine area is still pretty grimy.

Based on your list (thank you for that!) it seems like my leak might be any of the above. Based on how things have been going I bet it's the rear mains or the filter adapter. I also dont see any oil leaking from around the intake manifold but its hard to see the backside. I won't be doing the mains until i get in there for a rebuild anyways, if I ever do.

Sadly I just found an impala that's in much better shape than my 9c1 for the same price I paid 😕 it also has an lt1 and POWER WINDOWS! Pretty confused at this point about what I want to do lol

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Spray-type degreaser on a warmed motor works well. If the leak comes back immediately it's likely down low. Spray ether or gumout around the intake (especially front/back) while running to check leaks there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spray-type degreaser on a warmed motor works well. If the leak comes back immediately it's likely down low. Spray ether or gumout around the intake (especially front/back) while running to check leaks there.
Thanks for the tips!

When you say "if the leak comes back immediately", what do you mean? My leak never stops unless the car sits for a while. Its not super fast but it is persistent. Maybe need to add a quart every 1000 miles or so.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
......When you say "if the leak comes back immediately", what do you mean?...
\

You'll need at at least a floor jack and two stands (6-ton with lock pins preferred). Arm yourself with with Acri-Solv or MEK or Acetone and WipeTheS*** outta everything and see where S*** looks wet every weekend.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
......When you say "if the leak comes back immediately", what do you mean?...
\

You'll need at at least a floor jack and two stands (6-ton with lock pins preferred). Arm yourself with with Acri-Solv or MEK or Acetone and WipeTheS*** outta everything and see where S*** looks wet every weekend.
I see. I have a jack and stands but do you mean to clean it then run the car on the stands until drips start? Driving after cleaning is going to blow oil all over the place, no?

Is break cleaner ok? I'd prefer to spray off the heavy stuff since a lot of the grime is in hard to reach places. Tbh im not familiar with MEK or Acri-solv but I will look them up in the next few days.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
..... do you mean to clean it then run the car on the stands until drips start? Driving after cleaning is going to blow oil all over the place, no?

Is break cleaner ok? I'd prefer to spray off the heavy stuff since a lot of the grime is in hard to reach places. Tbh im not familiar with MEK or Acri-solv but I will look them up in the next few days.

Thank you so much!

It's real easy to overthink the cleaning. A qt a month is impressive, but still not enough to create a pretty stream while idling up in the air. You just want to first eliminate from something high up v. down low. A quick rag on the rear china wall after a few days might tell you if intake. If driving a week you still can't differentiate further to the source then simply re-clean and drive around a shorter amount time and recheck. Those solvents are pretty common and easy to find on google. Brake cleaner and acetone evaporate dam fast, but just use anything that cuts grease. Simple Green and Purple Power are ok too, even kerosene. The trick is to get everything 'clean' the first time. If the motor ain't been cleaned in a long time then figure a good light, a collection of brushes, repeat sessions, a whole bottle of spray and over an hour all-in. If you don't need a shower after, then you ain't done it right. And while rather obvious it's a good idea NOT to focus water nozzle on things that aren't suspect of leaking oil = solenoids, electricals, accessories, throttle body ..... Take some pics afterward and we'll give you a grade lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts