Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

New rear 300mm brakes compatible with 91-96 caprice sedan (tested) and parking brake - successful completed!

12K views 66 replies 10 participants last post by  Columbus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hallo.
I developed new 10mm steel mounting plates to make possible use with modern trw calipers and parking brakes.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Does wheel fits perfictly on axle without spacers? Yes!
Automotive tire Gas Circle Automotive wheel system Rim

Left with metal clip, right - factory clip )

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Does it compatible with 15 inch wheel stock caprice wheel? Yes!
Does it possible to install bigger diameter brake disks? Yes!
Does this rear brake disks are vented? Yes!
How many parts are "non factory"? Mountig plates, one 14mm usual metal clamp
Bolts: all metric 10.9 including mounting to flange
Does leg parkinig brake works? ... Same as usual...
Parking brake clicks: AAAAAdjustable! 6~7 clicks.
Does all parts are domestic buying: Yes! Everywhere.
Do i have antoher same kind kit with bigger pads? Yes, for 17 inch impala wheel disks. There another bigger caliper with bigger brake pads.

How long i develops it? 1year 9months.
Is that so difficult to develop? Yes, very hard, but successfull work. This is all considering that I have a family with two small children.

I do not make brake bolt mod at this time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Quite a few hits of interest but no replies. It's sounding as though you've devised a bigger brake option when limited to 15" wheels, and even a similar new larger option than stock for 17". I recall someone else across the pond looking to combine and machine EU rotors/hubs/calipers to work with our cars. Yours appears to be a scratch-built all-new backing plate to take more current design brake pieces?
Show off more pics - if not still secret stuff. ;)

#17 ·
Reactions: 96Lt1civi
#19 · (Edited)
Opel Insignia rear calipers and ATE w221 vented brake rear disk: 300mm, thinkness 22mm.
As you "see", one center cable are not custom... this is FORD!! :eek: 🤦‍♀️ 😂
Now are you feel that all parts are readily available and EASY buyng? 😀

Thinking to sell mount brackets in USA.

In the photo, do not take into account that the plywood mount and the caliper with bracket are in red. Now everything is sandblasted, painted silver and mounted on metal backplate.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Aircraft Tread
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Building material
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle tire Rim Gas
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

#23 ·
I saw that you did machine them, I was asking if you had to. If that is the case, then some disassembly will be needed.

#28 · (Edited)
To make successful instalation, you need:
1. Remove axle and minimize axle hub diameter from 167 to 156mm
2. Resize on brake disk center hole from 64 to 78mm
3. Drill 5x127 pattern too + Remove the diametral protrusion from the rear side of the disc into alignment with the brake plane
4. Mountig plates.
5. Buy other parts.

#29 ·
What are the part numbers for the calipers you used? Pads? Rotors? Just wondering what the specs are for those to gauge brake clamping force and determine the front/rear ratio. Specifically the caliper piston diameter, brake pad height, and stuff like that. Also which brake pad compounds are available for that shape of backing plate

#30 · (Edited)
Parts:
1. Opel Insignia rear calipers. Option J61/J62 (for 315mm rear brake disks)
It is important that the pull ball is the same as in the picture: the ball is at the top, but not at the bottom. This is the type of calipers I used.
Caliper piston: 41mm

2. Brake pads: GM 13343451 (as example) or analogs

3. Mercedes W221 vented rear brake disks: ATE 24.0122-0229.1

Remember:
With this kit it possible use stock wheels too!!!

#31 ·
Given the amount machining needed, would it be possible to just remake the mounting plates so they fit the stock 9C1/impala hardware?

They too fit that stock aluminum wheel you pictured as that is the set up I have on the 91.

Granted, your present setup maybe easier for european members.

#34 ·
Yes, in 'hardware', I meant all the stock 9C1/impala pieces - calipers, caliper brackets, parking brakes, rotors. Everything is pretty much still available minus the bracket to hold to the axle. And you probably have any missing odds and ends ;)

#35 ·
I do have some OE disc backing plates on hand....I won't deny it. Probably more than just about anyone except some Impala specialty dismantlers, but most of them try to keep the backing plates with the housing as a unit since it makes the combination of parts much more valuable than separated. Hated seeing the "Cars for Crushers" (Cash for Clunkers) take so many disc brake cars out of circulation back in 2009.

My biggest issue is that I have too many of one side vs the other....but generally, being cast iron, they don't wear out, but they CAN be broken or bent, which renders them useless.

#36 · (Edited)
One interest thing is that mountig plates possible make fit to wagons too. And for vans.. probably..
Why?
This is a design feature. In general, in the process of searching for a solution, I faced exactly this task as well. Well, that happened, according to the plan, a simple and universal solution. look and think carefully at the mounts to the axle and caliper bracket. between them you can make spacers of different metal thicknesses: 0.5mm, 1mm, 2mm or any needed thickness.

That is why mechanicaly not matter sedans or wagons.

it is possible to longitudinally position the caliper bracket relative to the disc. both to the center and to the outside.

#37 ·
The only thing I can say about the wagon is that it uses a different mounting pattern on the housing, with a different offset or standoff dimension. The flat bracket might work, but the other considerations include rotor & caliper sizing, as I would not recommend a rotor smaller than the C5/C6 Corvette 12" (305mm) x 28mm thick version in my wagon conversion kit. The need for stiffness & stability of the caliper mount has to be given it's appropriate degree of attention, too. I'm satisfied with the robust design of my parts.

Attachments

#40 ·
If those would fit inside 15" wheels, I'd be all for that kit and that's what I would've gone with. So far, the SSBC kit has served me well, and I've been beating the crap out of it daily. Those mounting plates are sturdy, and it looks like Vlad's mounting plates are even beefier. Even the brake bias has been surprisingly decent after I went with a 50/50 prop valve. I just wish it hadn't taken quite so much fiddling to get it working.

Ultimately I'm planning to go with a Moser Ford 9" rear end with Wildwood brakes anyways, so it's all kind of moot for me. Though I am still trying to decide which direction I'll go for my second wagon... 😁

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.