Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heads up for all of the DIY 4L60E guys out there: Sonnax has just released the "SmartShell" which not only includes a carefully engineered reinforced sunshell but also addresses a thrust loading problem that can damage the center Torrington bearing in the rear planetary gearset.

Part number 77749-02K.

Tech article is here: http://www.sonnax.com/announcements/77749-02K.pdf

I was not able to locate a price on this as of this post but since competitor sunshells aren't cheap either, you should consider looking at this option. Also, a broken torrington bearing inside the rear planetary requires you to either rebuild or replace the rear planetary and neither of those are cheap options.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Sonnax is the next town over from me and I have a good customer who works in their tech department, if there is enough interest I can ask him next time I talk to him what the pricing is on it.

Doug

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'd be interested in pricing. Once winter is over, I would like to refurbish my DD transmission. This would be an option against "the beast" sunshell. :) Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am not sure what the exact price is as the distributors are just now getting their hands on this and I have not heard any set prices. Our intention is that it would sell for about $20 over the Beast. This is mostly due to the cost of the roller bearing (instead of the plastic washer) and the modified roller clutch race. It’s a great piece, I am glad you are interested.

Gregg Nader
Sonnax Tech

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Thanks for the info Gregg, keep pumping out the good stuff for our fat cars and pickups!

Doug

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am not sure what the exact price is as the distributors are just now getting their hands on this and I have not heard any set prices. Our intention is that it would sell for about $20 over the Beast. This is mostly due to the cost of the roller bearing (instead of the plastic washer) and the modified roller clutch race. It’s a great piece, I am glad you are interested.

Gregg Nader
Sonnax Tech
count me in, I am very interested.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just getting a rebuild underway since SSH10 , timing should be just about right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts