Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can i get a new set of stock SS springs and how much do they cost anyone have any idea??? i want to get a new set cause mine are tired wit almost 80k on them. i would go wit lowerin springs but my car scrapes a ton as it is thanx

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
See other posts here. Everyone uses different springs & some have had trouble with theirs. I bought GM SS springs from the Dealership. I don't remember the price but I work there so it would have been less.
The way I figure it, the GM springs would be the best bet only because Chevrolet has it figured out for the SS & has to warrantee them. The SS springs are about 2-3 inches shorter & lowered my Caprice about 2.5 inches. If you already have a SS & liked it, you better keep the factory stuff on there. My parts man friend put Ibocs on his car & it would bottom out. And it didn't set much lower than mine. They were progresive rate springs. He also put 20's on it. Looked like hugh flowers. Took off some 17 inch Boyds. Looks terrible now. You out there AL??
357 Bob.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tired springs on 96 SS with only 80k on it?
I have a 95 with 110k and drive in NYC
without any problems of bottoming out. I also have stock shocks.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd more suspect tired shocks than springs, and I'd suggest you try the ZQ8 bump stops. Even with good shocks and springs the SS bottoms far more regularly than most realize.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its not that my car is bottomin out its just i want the car to be as nice and tight as possible sort of like as close as new and i figure while i'm goin to be doin the shocks i might as well do the springs i would go with eibachs or hockiss or voltage but i really don't want to drop my car anymore then it is stock cause i scrape things now the road here in NY aren't the greatest when it comes to bumps and potholes not to mention all the spped bumps. i was also goin to re do all of the body mounts and **** to any suggestions???

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Wayne Bengston:
I'd more suspect tired shocks than springs, and I'd suggest you try the ZQ8 bump stops. Even with good shocks and springs the SS bottoms far more regularly than most realize.
Wayne, just out of curiousity, do I need ZQ8 bump stops for my car even though it doesn't bottom out? Do you feel like it'll be a waste of money or will it improve the ride?

Also, I can buy them directly from Dal, right?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wayne, just out of curiousity, do I need ZQ8 bump stops for my car even though it doesn't bottom out?
Unless you are riding on glass smooth roads or have much stiffer than stock springs, you ARE bottoming out. You just don't know it. Read my review of them, decide if they sound right for you.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wayne is Dal the place to get the ZQ8's? Does anyone make a complete suspension kit? I read so much that it is really confusing. If you change the rear bar then you have to change control arms and other stuff. A lot more to it than upgrading an import, but I really want a great handling SS. Mine is a 96.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Tom's 96:
Wayne is Dal the place to get the ZQ8's? Does anyone make a complete suspension kit?
Yes. Dal is they man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts