Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be concerned that something is wrong when my brand new suspsension squeaks? It does it when hitting even small bumps and is coming from the passenger side. I just replaced everything. Vogtland springs, moog control arms and Monroe SS shocks along with the entire steering. I suspected the control arms but I didn't tighten them until the car was sitting so they can't be bound up. Should I worry or just let it be? It just annoys me because everything is brand new.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did use grease on the bushings to help slide the arms into place but I didn't cover them in grease. Could I just put some grease around the bushings and let it work it's way in? And I just reused the spring isolators from the stock springs.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Spray each individual point withWD40/CRC or equivalent, and test it separately. That way you will know which part is the culprit. You may not have tightened a bolt or nut sufficiently, and the parts may still move around the bolt.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Spray silicone seems most effective for this.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Check the new spring that it is seated with pigtail end between the two little holes in the bottom of the control arm spring pocket. This will promote proper spring position so it sits square and to prevent rubbing of the spring against the side of the pocket wall. I have had this annoying squeaking issue too in the past and it was the crooked spring. It would not be a bad idea to slather the bottom of the last coil in grease. Metal to metal=rust and squeaks. This would require dropping the control arm again. Sorry. Know you didn't want to hear that. You could try the "wait it out method" and see if it disappears by itself. +1 on retaining your top spring isolator.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
One sneaky squeak I've encountered is when the upper shock bushing doesn't stay centered in the control arm hole when tightening down. Then the shock shaft rubs the arm. It squeaks a very small movements and not so much a larger ones.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Check to see if the upper control arm shaft nuts (Not the alignment nuts) are tight on either end of the control arm. The fronts are easy to get at, but the rears are tricky. I had loose ones once after a shop rebuild the suspension and the suspension squeaked real loud until I tightened them up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked the tightness of the upper and lower arms and they were fine. I tightened them until I couldn't anymore. I hit them all with silicone spray as well and the squeak is still there. I still have to try and get some grease on the bottom of the springs to see if that helps. The upper shock mount bushings seem to be centered just fine so I don't believe it is that. I even went and pushed up and down on all four corners of the car and really couldn't hear anything while doing that so still can't pinpoint the area its coming from.

I mean its a very minor squeak and it only happens on small bumps or if I go over a manhole cover or something like that. If I go over a fairly good size bump there is no squeaking. Im sure most people wouldn't even care but with it being brand new steering and suspension I expected it to be quiet and not sound like some rickety old thing. I was thinking maybe the sway bar bushings? I put new bushings and end links on from napa so maybe those could be the culprit. I even thought it could be a loose brake pad but the squeak still continues with the brakes applied.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Did you hit the sway bar end links with some lube? Check for shiny spots on everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.