Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently redid the suspension on my Impala. Here is the link to the original thread. First off, I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for the help and suggestions during this project. I couldn't have done it without your help :D . The car feels great, but now I'm having problems :( . I was wondering if you guys could help out again

The bounciness (if that's a word) has diminished, but now the rear wheels (nicely centered in the wheelwells) are sitting low, the passenger side is extremely low. I've been bottoming out all over the place. I'm going to take apart the rear suspension this week, I was just wondering what I should be looking for.

I think it's the springs. I tried getting away with the stock springs which were on there (100K+ miles). I think I'm going to have to get some new OEM springs.

I'm also going to check the new control arms and see if anything has loosened up.

Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks again

-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello,

NJ96, you're making me nervous now...

I'm about to do the exact same overhaul. I've was watching your thread for a while now. I'd hate to feel what you must be feeling.
Did you try bringing it back to the shop that did the work and see if they could find anything? Also, check the sway bars. If they're upside down, which I hear just about everyone has done at 1st, it would affect the cars stance. Try to give a AutoCrosser a shout out, he's supposed to be big on suspensions. He seems very knowledgable.

Good luck...keep us posted, I want to know what was the cause?

Aldo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aldo-

Don't be nervous. The car feels GREAT :D !!! This is just payback for not switching the rear springs when I should have :mad: . At least I hope it's the springs.

I've got to do a little exhaust work and I was thinking of taking it back to the shop and asking the guy if I could install the new stuff (Borla is sending me a free replacement!!!) while he does the springs. The install cost would be worth it if I could "borrow" his lift to do the exhaust.

Seriously, don't be nervous. The car handles great (when it's not bottoming out).

Let me know how your install goes.

-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NYC '95 9C1:
Try to give a AutoCrosser a shout out, he's supposed to be big on suspensions. He seems very knowledgable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Supposed to be big on suspensions??? Seems very knowledgable???

Um, no.

Ed IS big on suspensions and IS VERY knowledgable!!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

NJ96 : try new stock springs. If that is still not tall enough, then there are stiffer alternatives out there but they are gonna raise the car a bit. Have yet to find a rear spring that is stiffer than stock but still stock height.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Dan,
The extended arms will move the rear end back, putting the coils at a slight angle which will have a lowering affect. Try just swapping the passengers side coil, with the drivers side coil. The passengers side tends to soften sooner, it gets more load from torque and twisting then the drivers side. It made mine sit level again, at the least, it will let you know for sure if the coils will be the fix!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.