Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just registered with forum since I just purchased a 96 Buick RM wagon collector's edition (wood grain delete - yippee!). It's pretty loaded with leather heated seats, etc. Was a 1-owner car with 115K miles but looks, runs, and drives GREAT. I think I got it for a good price... $5,000. Anyway:

1) Does anyone have a list so I can decode all the options on the service sticker?

2) Will an Impala SS rear fit in the wagon?

3) Will a 96 Impala SS motor, tranny, PCM, etc. bolt right in if I wanted to transplant it?

4) Will an Impala SS steering box and sway bars be a direct bolt-in?

Thanks!

Cliff H.

66 Impala Wagon, 396 w/factory 4-speed, AC, tilt, wood wheel, in-dash tach, etc. (restored)
81 Chevy El Camino
84 GMC Safari AWD
02 Honda Odyssey
02 Harley Electra Glide Classic

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CHARDWAY:
Just registered with forum since I just purchased a 96 Buick RM wagon collector's edition (wood grain delete - yippee!). It's pretty loaded with leather heated seats, etc. Was a 1-owner car with 115K miles but looks, runs, and drives GREAT. I think I got it for a good price... $5,000.

Sounds great!

Anyway:

1) Does anyone have a list so I can decode all the options on the service sticker?

http://9c1.com/technical/rpo_codes.htm

2) Will an Impala SS rear fit in the wagon?

3) Will a 96 Impala SS motor, tranny, PCM, etc. bolt right in if I wanted to transplant it?

You already have an SS motor, tranny, PCM. ;)

4) Will an Impala SS steering box and sway bars be a direct bolt-in?

Rear SS bar does not fit wagon rear end. Wagon has a wider stance. You can get a Metco adapter and then use an Impala bar or get BMR or ? rear LCAs and get a Hotchkis rear bar. But get a bigger front bar at the same time to balance.

Thanks!

Cliff H.

66 Impala Wagon, 396 w/factory 4-speed, AC, tilt, wood wheel, in-dash tach, etc. (restored)
81 Chevy El Camino
84 GMC Safari AWD
02 Honda Odyssey
02 Harley Electra Glide Classic
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://9c1.com/technical/rpo_codes.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard! Welcome to the world of Wagons too. Great buy on the woody delete Wagon.

1) Option label decoder

2)Yes and no....Yes it will fit, with some mods, No it does not directly bolt in

3)If you've got a 96, then you should have the same motor/tranny Pcm is easy reburn through Bryan Herter

4)STeering box should bolt right up, but the say the late 70's Trans am/Formula box is tighter. Front sway bar = yes ( I am waiting on new bushings for mine right now)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there is a label on the lower dash to the right of the steering wheel that says "Gran Touring Suspension" you will have speed sensitive steering that was only available on the RM and Caddie. The stock setup with good shocks, a rear sway bar and SS 17" rims makes the car a great long distance machine. Check it out before you start ripping things out.
Cordially, Neil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a great find. I pity the fool who sold it.

I went Hotchkis for both front and rear bars, and the lower control arms, and I am extremely satisfied. Very balanced and predictable. A good set of 255/50-17 tires helps too.

Enjoy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RMWagonGS:
If there is a label on the lower dash to the right of the steering wheel that says "Gran Touring Suspension" you will have speed sensitive steering that was only available on the RM and Caddie. The stock setup with good shocks, a rear sway bar and SS 17" rims makes the car a great long distance machine. Check it out before you start ripping things out.
Cordially, Neil
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, for the tips.

I do have the "Gran Touring" option with variable PS so I'll try the suggestions before I install an SS Impala steering box.

If I have the PCM reprogrammed identical to the SS Impala, what differences will I notice?

Also, any suggestion where to buy SS Impala factory wheels and tires?

Thanks,

Cliff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know about the PCM, as I don't have an LT-1

AH, the wheel question.... Wheels are all over Ebay right now. BUT, you can buy them brand new from some GM dealers for about $600 plus shipping. That includes 4 wheels, center caps, and lugnuts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my Impala SS wheels from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM about three weeks ago. Just under $700.00 shipped via truck on a pallet, they wanted a business to ship it to but they will ship to your home as long as there will be someone there to break the bands on the skid and unload the boxes. Shipping took about a week. I highly recommend them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice find! One thing that you can change is the speed limiter, but be careful, I am not condoning anything, if you want to keep up with the Impala`s. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.