Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Caprice yesterday, It's a 1996 LT1 9C1 w/ 109k.

I'm just curious only 1 of my radiator fans are turning on when car reaches operating temperature. is only 1 fan suppose to be on?

3 more things im curious about are that my oil pressure gauge is not giving me a accurate reading and my temp rises fast when the car is sitting at a stop light. is this normal

:confused:

I also have a orange CEL, O2 sensors on passenger side are getting low voltage.

the vehicle seems to be running fine when we picked it up yesterday, we had a good 40 min trip on the highway home.

If anyone of you guys have had any of these problems please let me know.

Thanks, Joey.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Welcome to the forum! tons of info here.
I gotta make it quick but yes only one fan will run at operating temp. the other one will kick on when its damn near redzone. most people will get a PCM tune and change those temp settings while in there. you can pull the CTS sensor plug at the right of the water pump and start the car, both fans will come on soon after if they are working correctly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question is the guy I bought the car off said he recently changed the fuel pump and the orange CEL came on shortly after he put it in, what could this be?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Pass. side fan is your primary, it runs with the A/C/ on, or when you hit a mark just shy of the 3/4 mark on the gauge, at least on my car. The drivers side is your 'back-up' your about 1 mark before the red zone before this on will kick in. Temp climbing in stop a go ....yes, that is normal. The CEL might not be related to the FP. Gte AC Delco O2's...NOT bosch! On you drive home I would bet that the temp gauge stayed right around the 1/4 mark. It sounds like you had it scanned for codes since you know the O2's are weak.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pass. side fan is your primary, it runs with the A/C/ on, or when you hit a mark just shy of the 3/4 mark on the gauge, at least on my car. The drivers side is your 'back-up' your about 1 mark before the red zone before this on will kick in. Temp climbing in stop a go ....yes, that is normal. The CEL might not be related to the FP. Gte AC Delco O2's...NOT bosch! On you drive home I would bet that the temp gauge stayed right around the 1/4 mark. It sounds like you had it scanned for codes since you know the O2's are weak.
Yeah my buddy scanned my car with his scanner, he is suicideride93 on here he got me into caprices. Yeah when the car is moving that temp drops real fast. And I'm def gettig ac delco o2's, he already told me Bosch is garbage lol.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Nice car, love the trim rings. U might want to check ur manifold bolts for being loose/broken considering the o2 is stuck in the low volts area indicating a lean condition.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice car, love the trim rings. U might want to check ur manifold bolts for being loose/broken considering the o2 is stuck in the low volts area indicating a lean condition.
Manifold bolts could cause your o2's not to work properly? I might not even need new o2's if that's the problem then.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Manifold bolts could cause your o2's not to work properly? I might not even need new o2's if that's the problem then.
If there is a leak before the O2's then the sensor is getting less of the exhaust pass it and thinks it running lean. The rear bolts are notorious for breaking on these engines. I lucked out and mine were just loose. Its recommended to upgrade them to grade 8 bolts before they break.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Your car looks good!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If there is a leak before the O2's then the sensor is getting less of the exhaust pass it and thinks it running lean. The rear bolts are notorious for breaking on these engines. I lucked out and mine were just loose. Its recommended to upgrade them to grade 8 bolts before they break.
I started my car up just now and my CEL isn't there anymore? wtf

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
I started my car up just now and my CEL isn't there anymore? wtf
its ok exghst cel come and go....its back to normal...i am sure you have a exghst leak...have you check the bolts yet?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
I'm not familiar with manifold
Bolts, I don't even know where there located lol
np...on the side of each head there are the exghst manifolds.

this view is fromt he back of the motor, but there are bolts holding that down.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you get the part # for me please?

I'll replace those to be on the safe side, are they hard to replace?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Can you get the part # for me please?

I'll replace those to be on the safe side, are they hard to replace?
hmmm

are you in calif?....nevermind just checked ur profile...your not..

no the bolts are easy just do 1 at a time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts