Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the '96 SS for 10 years now and I've gone through two rebuilt trannys. Be it as it may I'm in need of tranny work once again (she's got 107,000 miles on her). Very reluctant to start using more "new guys" in the South Florida area for a rebuild. I've been doing some reading on the forum but am still indecisive of what to do.

Anyone with experience of a good shop down in the South Florida area would recommend a website or anything related to just getting the SS back on the road. Of course I'm looking for a good deal but I want longevity and comfort knowing that I won't be looking at trannys in under 60,000 miles. Help is needed guys as I'm keeping this beasst and have no intention of selling. Just want to make the right decision here. Oh, and she's fairly stock as in no internal engine upgrades, gears, cams, etc. Just the usual bolt-ons from air intake, headers, exhaust, PCMFORLESS, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
Something seems off here. While GM is not know for longevity of their automatics, I have 141,000 on my 96 and it runs like the day I drove her off the lot brand new.

Well, it ran perfect until I yanked it for a 6 speed anyway.

I wonder if something is tearing up your transmission and wasn't caught in the last rebuilds - or even a partially clogged coolant line.

On my 94 9C1, I had to replace the (original) trans at 151,000. I went with a GM Serta - about $1400 I think, and it came with a 50,000 mile warranty. I sold the car at 278,000 and still ran fine.

You may want to install a trans temp gauge as well.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.....Very reluctant to start using more "new guys" in the South Florida area for a rebuild......
http://www.cpt4l60-e.com/

Delivery I believe is free......and I believe Shane still pays for your core (broke tranny) to be delivered back to him.

Once you receive one of his trannies, the only thing you need to have done is the removal of the old tranny and the install of the new tranny.

Any decent auto mechanic should be able to handle this.

Good luck!

KW

EDIT: Check the very top and bottom of the linked page ;) .

http://www.cpt4l60-e.com/products.html

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Something seems off here. While GM is not know for longevity of their automatics, I have 141,000 on my 96 and it runs like the day I drove her off the lot brand new.

Well, it ran perfect until I yanked it for a 6 speed anyway.

I wonder if something is tearing up your transmission and wasn't caught in the last rebuilds - or even a partially clogged coolant line.

On my 94 9C1, I had to replace the (original) trans at 151,000. I went with a GM Serta - about $1400 I think, and it came with a 50,000 mile warranty. I sold the car at 278,000 and still ran fine.

You may want to install a trans temp gauge as well.

Airmedic,
The reason some stock trannys last for nearly ever and some die soon is because of the clearances that are acceptable to GM.
When i worked at the dealer, i would go into sub 100 mile transmissions that had problems and i would see super loose clearances that the hydramatac employees let go through that they never should have. I also went into 100k mile transmissions that had overall good clearances but broke hard parts from wear.

So that is what has most to do with it, and pressure of course. If you have thght clearances, the clutches dont burn, you dont clog the pcs screens and you keep line pressure.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Makes sense Shane, thanks for the insight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts