Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share some pictures of my new wheels.

These wheels have been on my bucket list for a number of years now and I finally got a chance to make them a reality.

I placed my order with Colorado Customs in July of 2021 - after I'd discussed with them how I wanted these wheels optioned out.

These were definitely the most money I've ever dropped on just a single upgrade for this car, but in the end, I think they were well worth it.

In February 2022, (Yes, eight month's later) - I got the call letting me know my wheels were finally completed and ready to ship. They arrived at my door a week later.

Unfortunately, spring wouldn't arrive for another 2 month's - so the wait continued on...

Ten long month's from start to finish...

So here we are in May and they're finally on the car.

Just finished installing everything this morning. Crappy final picture, I know - but it hasn't stopped raining yet today. Once we get some better weather, I'll be able to wash the car and take some better pictures.

---------------------------

What I was aiming for:

The vision I've always had for this car when it came to wheels, was a set of exact-replica Impala SS wheels but with the following changes...

• 18's on all 4 corners
  • 9" Wide Fronts
  • 10" Wide Rears
  • Deeper dish both front and back (nothing crazy)
  • Offset changed to bring the wheels further out (away from the frame)
  • Brushed satin finish (clear coated)
  • Valve stems relocated to the back of the wheel (for a cleaner overall look)

I wanted the wheels to compliment the design of the car, not over power it and become the main focal point.

In my opinion, 18's are the perfect balance between improved looks and cornering capability - without sacrificing much, in terms of everyday durability, comfort and drivability.

This is a street car that sees crappy Canadian roads. I don't want to worry about speed bumps or potholes destroying my wheels, nor do I want the fillings shaken out of my teeth as I drive down the road. 馃ぃ

So bear that in mind if you're wondering why I didn't follow the crowd with giant 24+ inch wheels and rubber-band tires on 7" wide rims. That's just not my thing.

I'm weird, I know.

Why these wheels are different from the "other" replicas on the market:

What makes these wheels particularly unique among factory replica wheels available elsewhere, is that they're the only replicas on the market that are proportionately correct to the factory design.

I don't think any of the other manufacturers offering Impala SS replicas - understand that if you increase one dimension of a wheel, you have to increase all the other dimensions by the same amount.

Otherwise, the wheels start to lose their original shape. The proportions are off, which in my opinion, make the wheel look a bit off as well.

These wheels are proportioned correctly...

Small details of the factory GM design, like the soft, rounded edges of the spokes (tapered so the spokes become wider in size towards the inside of the wheel) have been reproduced perfectly - so they still have the same depth and 3-Dimentional appearance of the factory wheel.

They don't have that flat, paper cut-out look to them that so many other replicas do.

Even the center caps have been reproduced exactly as the originals (nobody does that) and don't require screws to hold them in place either, like the other designs I've seen.

I just wanted a factory wheel - but a bit taller, wider and with a better offset to bring the wheel out, closer to the fenders. The deeper dish, satin finish and relocation of the valve stems were basically the only alterations to an otherwise "factory" design.

Conclusion:

I think they came out looking great and thought I'd share.

These obviously aren't for everybody.

If you don't care for the look of the factory wheels, then these won't do anything for you.

They're also prohibitively expensive for many and honestly, I think a lot of people would probably scoff at the idea of spending this much money on something that most people wouldn't even notice was changed to begin with.

But in my case, I prefer Subtle & Low-Key over Loud & Flashy.

Different strokes for Different folks...

Packing materials Shipping box Rectangle Packaging and labeling Font

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Hubcap Tread
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hubcap Alloy wheel

Wheel Light Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel
Household hardware Camera lens Lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics
Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Hubcap Alloy wheel

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

Wheel Car Tire Automotive tire Steering part
Hand Hood Finger Gas Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As for tires, I went with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. 265/40/18's up front. 295/35/18 in the rear.

More then what I wanted to spend for tires, but they were literally the only ones available to purchase at the time.

I know why they were the only option available. They're so damned expensive, nobody buys them - so they're always in stock!) 馃ぃ

For those considering these Michelin's for their own ride, take note - these tires run wider then most.

These 295's are the equivalent of a lot of other companies 315, so bear that in mind before ordering.

They're wider then the sizing suggests...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Barrel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Property Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Registered
Wow nice man you gotta bring it out!
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Wheel Tire

That's the same company that made the wheels for Taj's impala's (ultimately sold at mecum) running 18s a few years ago.
Car Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yup, saw that a while back. Shame he sold it. I think that guy had one of the cleanest Impala's on the planet. Main difference between his wheels and mine are the center caps. I wanted the center caps black (like factory) with the same curved, 2.5D contoured emblem - that style was not available back when Taj had his wheels made, so I've got one up on him, I guess. :p

Registered
Wow--lots of thought in them,and they look great.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What did you spend on the wheels if you don鈥檛 mind me asking?
Well, for obvious reasons - they'd prefer I not advertise pricing - so I won't get into exact figures.

Ball-park-wise, depending on the size/width of what you're looking for, things like wheel finish, center cap design and other miscellaneous options available - without getting too specific, expect to pay in the neighborhood of about $1200 USD Per Wheel and go up from there.

Then there's the shipping fee's and/or duty fees to pay if you live outside the US...

Then there's tires...

If you really wanted an exact number for your specific needs - you'd have to give them a call and tell them what you want. The number above was just a ballpark.

I know that the DGGM car mentioned above (formerly owned by a gentlemen who went by the name Taj) had similar wheels to these a couple years back and he'd mentioned roughly what he paid for them at the time.

Needless to say, when I called the manufacturer to discuss getting a set for my car - I was surprised at how much the price had changed.

But it makes sense, I guess.

The cost of materials keeps going up each year, as do manufacturing/operating costs - so the price of custom wheels is going to continue to go up as time passes (so will the cost of everything else, unfortunately). :confused:

When Taj mentioned what he'd paid for a similar set, he'd already bought them 4 years earlier then when I placed my order. So he got them for less.

By this time next year, picking up a set of these will probably be even more cost prohibitive.

From a financial prospective, if I didn't order them when I did, I may not have been able to afford getting a set later.

Registered
鈥91鈥 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Look good, I like that the center cap threads in.

Administrator
Can't see, but make sure you have a big o ring on the back of the center cap so it does not unscrew itself. This is what Weld did on their billet wheels with thread in centers. Works perfectly.

Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
As for tires, I went with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. 265/40/18's up front. 295/35/18 in the rear.

More then what I wanted to spend for tires, but they were literally the only ones available to purchase at the time.

I know why they were the only option available. They're so damned expensive, nobody buys them - so they're always in stock!) 馃ぃ

For those considering these Michelin's for their own ride, take note - these tires run wider then most.

These 295's are the equivalent of a lot of other companies 315, so bear that in mind before ordering.

They're wider then the sizing suggests...
View attachment 204468
View attachment 204436
View attachment 204439
View attachment 204469
View attachment 204440 View attachment 204441 View attachment 204442
Absolutely sick wheels. Very classic and clean, paying homage to the OEM wheels. Never seen a valve stem on the rear of the rim!

馃ぃ Yes.

Wasn't trying to advertise, but I had these wheels in my room for two month's and the only way I could get all 4 wheels in the same shot was to take a few steps back. That meant the background (and Klipsch's) were visible. ;)
LOL Saw that too... nice set up!

Look good, I like that the center cap threads in.
It's a really neat feature... I like it too!

Premium Member
LT1 to 383 rebuild - Trick Flow 195 Gen X Heads - CompCams LT1 XR276HR12 - 32lb injectors - 1.5 Rock
These are pieces of art - beautiful - well designed and ordered - love the screw in center cap and the backside valve stem - had a similar set done in the past on a customer project - $1250 per wheel - shipping was $300 - boxes were wrapped, strapped and shrink wrapped to a pallet - arrived safe and sound and in perfect condition - would definitely recommend going this route versus individual box shipping - downside is you need a fork lift to unload given the truck freight delivery - again beautiful wheels and well worth the 20 week lead time and $7K investment

1 - 20 of 26 Posts