Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i've got the usual dreaded b-body dead spot/slop in my steering. I've had my front end checked out and worn parts replaced by a local shop. However, there is still quite a bit of play. I took it back and they say that the play is normal which is BS (having owned a 93 9c1 before this and driven a 95 ss on many occasions I know these cars have no play, seeing how they're fullsize sport sedans :rolleyes: ). Anyway, I just checked it out myself and when turning the wheel gently from side to side I see there is play coming from the bottom of the steering box. Everything from the steering wheel down to the steering box itself turns on a dime, but right under the box where the piece sticking out bolted to the box connecting to the next part (is that the idler arm or pitman?) is slow to respond. Is this enough to tell me that the steering box needs to be adjusted/replaced? I was going to adjust the box as a last ditch effort, but this dead spot is driving me nuts! Also forgive me, as I know little to nothing about front end parts and the different parts and terminology LOL. Also, all the checking was done from the car at a stand still, and I had my sister turning steering wheel from side to side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A very interesting thread. I do agree with Autocrosser though; probably because I've done it that way for over 50 years. However, be very careful, to make only 1/4 turn adjustments at a time, unless you have a real feel for what's going on. Even then, a 1/2 turn is a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.