Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im a newbie and have a 94 chevy impala stock engine and exhaust i was wondering about getting some flowmasters to start to give my car that mean sound while starting and while driving, i dont want cray loud pipes but just have that mean sound lol, like i said im a newbie and i hope you guys can provide me with great info on flowmasters or i hear borla is good as well thanks

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Greetings left coast newbie. If you're just looking for a change in sound and are not too concerned about a power improvement, you might consider deleting the mufflers while keeping the resonators.

If you'd like a little extra boost in power, you may want to consider one of the cat-back options from the sticky at the top of the page. There are many from which to choose. All have varying degrees of volume and different tones. Plus, their larger diameter pipes free-up a few extra horsepower.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Flowmasters. They have a little wheeze/whistle noise that reminds me of an old VW Beetle and compared to other brands they don't flow all that well.

From my own use and observations...

Turbo mufflers (Summit, Dynomax) are very tame at idle but have a nice growl under acceleration.

Magnaflows are a little louder at idle and have a great mellow tone when you get on it.

Hooker Aero Chambers are fairly loud and have a very deep tone. These, when used without an X or H pipe, are my favorites.

All the Spintech mufflers I've heard are either loud or really loud and can be a touch raspy at times.

Flowmasters, of course, are very popular with Mustang owners and guys who are fond of other men. They should be outlawed. Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a Nazi-sympathizing, America-hating squirrel molester and should have his forum privileges suspended.

Once again, welcome to the forum. If you are one of the lucky ones, and if he's not too drunk or hungover, Signature Section Moderator and international playboy Cracka Ass Crackuh may bestow upon you an official ISSF greeting.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Flowmasters, of course, are very popular with Mustang owners and guys who are fond of other men. They should be outlawed. Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a Nazi-sympathizing, America-hating squirrel molester and should have his forum privileges suspended.
W o w

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if i wanted a little extra horsepower what would be the best exhaust system for my 1994 chevy impala?

·
Registered
654 Posts
So if i wanted a little extra horsepower what would be the best exhaust system for my 1994 chevy impala?
anything other than the over rated and underperforming flow masters. all depends on the amount of money you want to spend and what your future plans will be. jegs cat back is a great system for the price but not good if you live with salty roads in the winter. spintechs and dynomax flow the best of just about everything. i switched from pypes to dynomax during the sale last month and the ultra flo ss is a straight thru muffler...no baffles or anything with a straight thru resonator too. any 2.5" system will serve you well...whether you do your own or buy a complete kit.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anything other than the over rated and underperforming flow masters. all depends on the amount of money you want to spend and what your future plans will be. jegs cat back is a great system for the price but not good if you live with salty roads in the winter. spintechs and dynomax flow the best of just about everything. i switched from pypes to dynomax during the sale last month and the ultra flo ss is a straight thru muffler...no baffles or anything with a straight thru resonator too. any 2.5" system will serve you well...whether you do your own or buy a complete kit.

So how much does spintech or dynomax run about?

·
Premium Member
849 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey

Go with the Flows they sound great and last longer in my opinion.I never had any problems with them all the others are crappy and cheap other than the cat back hooker or pypes with a x pipe mufflers.I dont know why guys hate on the american muscle sound so much on here.Spintech,jegs,summit or turbos are sooo awful to me and all of my SS/Caprice patnas.I like to hear and feel my mufflers when i mash on the gas.they also sound great going through a tunnel or a bridge:).Good luck

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
"Trust.Will do 153 mph easy on 22's"

Yeah, nothing says high performance like big wheels and Flowmasters.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
(monthly)Flows = American Muscle sound? Bloody ****ing hell!?

That's 153 w/22's because you didn't recalibrate the comp, right?

To the OP, Aero Chambers sound sweet BUT if you want them you better move quick because Hooker has pulled the plug on them.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I dont know why guys hate on the american muscle sound so much on here.
American muscle sound? Flowmasters? Whatever you say, Chief. Now, kindly step away from the squirrel.

To the OP, Aero Chambers sound sweet BUT if you want them you better move quick because Hooker has pulled the plug on them.
I know they stopped making a few configurations, but I don't think they're discontinuing the entire line. You can still order the cat-back from Jeg's and Summit.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im really looking for a sound that is not loud or sound of a race car.... im just a daily driver but im just looking for a lil boost in hp so i can get over 300 hps so exhaust and intake is most i will do to customize my 94 ss

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
im really looking for a sound that is not loud or sound of a race car.... im just a daily driver but im just looking for a lil boost in hp so i can get over 300 hps so exhaust and intake is most i will do to customize my 94 ss
The Hooker cat-back (Part #16837HKR) with stock manifolds, cats and no X-pipe sounds mean as hell without being too loud. It gets a little louder with headers and high-perf cats. The tone gets higher with an X-pipe. Can't go wrong with it IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok, i just last weekend put a flowmaster cat back system on my 94... the american thunder, 40 series... my hubby wanted 50 series, but i couldnt find them in the bolt up kit i needed so i settled. my plates were due up and my hooker exhaust was falling apart (okay so half of it was actually in the truck for a month) The flows sound kinda cool leaving, but its awful quiet in general... it sneaks up on ya... i can barely hear it in the car. i do wonder if 50 series ould drown out that weird whistling i hear... i really miss those hookers. oh, and the cat back bolt up system from flowmaster will for sure rub on your 11 inch wide rims.

·
Registered
10 Posts
forgot to mention... i did see a boost in power... but i believe that had a little more to do with us hollowing the cats out... dont tell... ssshhhhh...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hey im a newbie and have a 94 chevy impala stock engine and exhaust i was wondering about getting some flowmasters to start to give my car that mean sound while starting and while driving, i dont want cray loud pipes but just have that mean sound lol, like i said im a newbie and i hope you guys can provide me with great info on flowmasters or i hear borla is good as well thanks
Where in Kali are you? Maybe you can go to a local meet and listen to some other members systems. I was looking for the exact same thing you described abd went with the Dynomax system and love it. Nice rumble and not annoyingly loud and comes to life when you stomp on it. Nothing I hate more than a LOUD car with a stock motor. Sure it might sound good but if you dont have the nutSS to back up that sound then your not only false advertising but IMO its just like rice.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts