Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 94 Roadmaster. The owner says it has the Police Interceptor package with bigger brakes and so on.... I can't find any info about the Impala SS or Roadmaster having a "Special Police Option".

Did the Impala SS or Roadmaster have that separate option?

An old Hot Rod article says that they took the police-spec Caprice 9C1 options and put on all the Impala SS cars.

·
Administrator
6,192 Posts
ZERO Roadmasters (or Impala SS) got the 9C1 package, it was Caprice only. However... on the Roadmaster, the engine/trans/rear is the same. Drums in back instead of discs. Front rotors are the same diameter (but use slightly thinner pads). If it is a non-tow pack car, it will have the same two electric fans as the 9C1s. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Your friend is misinformed, or gullibile (or thinks you are).

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Nothing really made the police package cars LT1 much better than the civilian LT1 cars. Stiffer springs and sway bars, rear disc brakes, some external oil and trans coolers, no speed limiter, slightly better rear end gear ratio (same as Impala SS) was about the only differences worth mentioning. Price used to be a major factor with ex-police cars being significantly cheaper than the civilian cars. Now days civilian B-bodies are usually less abused.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm considering buying a 94 Roadmaster. The owner says it has the Police Interceptor package with bigger brakes and so on.... I can't find any info about the Impala SS or Roadmaster having a "Special Police Option".

Did the Impala SS or Roadmaster have that separate option?

An old Hot Rod article says that they took the police-spec Caprice 9C1 options and put on all the Impala SS cars.
Lots of misinfo, which is understandable. Police Interceptor is Ford. There were never any interceptor versions offered by GM. Only Ford and Mad Max. There may have been a few more things worth mentioning that came w/ SEO options, but unnecessary to hash out in detail here. The main thing to know is that if it's a Roadmaster sedan, there is no way it ever had any such provisioning and you're being given misinfo (whether deliberately or through 3rd party unfamiliarity). If it's a wagon, I'm not sure that 1A2 was only Chevy...hmmn.

Anyway, there's a SPID (special parts identification label) that accompanies all cars out of the factory. Find the SPID, verify that the VIN on the SPID matches the VIN on the dash, snap a photo and post it here (less the VIN). We can give you, and show you where to find, all the particulars of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Nothing really made the police package cars LT1 much better than the civilian LT1 cars. Stiffer springs and sway bars, rear disc brakes, some external oil and trans coolers, no speed limiter, slightly better rear end gear ratio (same as Impala SS) was about the only differences worth mentioning. Price used to be a major factor with ex-police cars being significantly cheaper than the civilian cars. Now days civilian B-bodies are usually less abused.
Incorrect, 9c1's have speed limiters set at 129 and 147 depending on the original speed ratings of tires. Other differences, the green silicone hoses and N97 wheels. From a driving standpoint, they are much better than the civilian cars.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Incorrect, 9c1's have speed limiters set at 129 and 147 depending on the original speed ratings of tires. Other differences, the green silicone hoses and N97 wheels. From a driving standpoint, they are much better than the civilian cars.
my 9c1 had the 225/70/15s (sticker on door had this info) and no speed limiter on it. (ask how i know! hahaha)

saw in another post someone posted that 225 cars had a limiter.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
9c1's also had the extra body bushings which helps to improve the feel and handling of the car.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
my 9c1 had the 225/70/15s (sticker on door had this info) and no speed limiter on it. (ask how i know! hahaha)

saw in another post someone posted that 225 cars had a limiter.
That just means that someone programmed it out of the PCM. Both the 225 and 235 cars had the limiters from the factory as stated to comply with federal safety standards.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Different steering box ratios, too.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
That just means that someone programmed it out of the PCM. Both the 225 and 235 cars had the limiters from the factory as stated to comply with federal safety standards.
Department must have cuz i got it straight from them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.