Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 96 SS and found that the previous owner replaced the shocks with carquest shocks. I feel like the car floats on the road. Will going back to stock shocks help and how much improvement will I get if I go to Bilstiens. Thanks for the info in advance

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stock deCarbon shocks would probably be better than what you have, but they are very expensive. A better choice would be Bilsteins. There are "soft" and "firm" Bilsteins available. The firm are probably a better choice. Having gone from a soft shock(Monroe ST) to a firm one(Monroe SS), the ride is actually better with the firm one.

I ran Monroe SensaTracs for 40k, and they are not floaty under normal driving, but they are not the best thing for performance driving. Probably the closest shock to the deCarbon.

Another option are the Monroe Severe Service shocks, but they do not have a lifetime warranty like the Sensatrac or Bilstein. Since they are new, lifespan is an unknown. I'm guessing they are similar to the "firm" Bilstein in feel, but I've not had a chance to compare.

Not all that much more than deCarbons, would be the HAL QA1 shock, which is a 12 setting adjustable, from almost no shock to almost solid and they are rebuildable.

I'd stay away from Edelbrock and KYBs.

Do a search for more info.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW Back in Dec. 94, when Bilstein would revalve shocks free one time, I bought a set of #1517-1516 for the progressive valving and had them revalved while brand new to even firmer nn/mm than the #0929-1104 for my SS. Almost nine years later they feel like they did when new, NO float, aggressive damping. Money well worth it .

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shocks do a lot more then most people know!! this is aplace cutting corners on price will kill you!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts