Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. this is my first post on this forum, but ive been lurking for a few months.

in august i bought a 1994 rms with 160k after looking for a while.

last saturday at about 5 am while i was on my way to work my tranny went out. the week before i had done a tranny flush, new filter and such. everything worked fine and i know i used te right fluids.

i was able to limp it into work in first gear and then towed it to my co workers house after work. hes an avid car restorer and a car club member with many connections so i had him check it out. he had one of his buddies look into the transmission and he says that the clutch pack is fried and he said he cold fix it all for about $800 or he can get me a new one for 2k because i have a 1995 trans, as i was informed. my question: is there a cheaper way to fix this? i was going to look on craigslist and see what i could find and i wanted to know what upgrades for the 4l60e there are and what cars carry a 4l60e that will work in my car. might sound dumb but im trying to figure out my options and from what ive heard this is the best place to look. any info would be great.

thanks,
j

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
last saturday at about 5 am while i was on my way to work my tranny went out. the week before i had done a tranny flush, new filter and such. everything worked fine and i know i used te right fluids.
Two seperate tranny builders have told me that flushing is a big no no with older high milage transmissions. Infact one Aamco shop said they could do a flush, but I would be back in a few weeks for a rebuild, that as long as it is working fine don't touch it, that the flush moves gunk around, and the detergents in the fluid deteriorate the seals in the transmission.
My transmission was in a 94 with 156k on it and the fluid was dark. I took their advice and just did a filter change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two seperate tranny builders have told me that flushing is a big no no with older high milage transmissions. Infact one Aamco shop said they could do a flush, but I would be back in a few weeks for a rebuild, that as long as it is working fine don't touch it, that the flush moves gunk around, and the detergents in the fluid deteriorate the seals in the transmission.
My transmission was in a 94 with 156k on it and the fluid was dark. I took their advice and just did a filter change.
it started to shift a little funny and as you said the fluid was dark as hell. i knew about not changing the fluid on trannys with high mileage but i thought in this case it might help... should have listened to the little guy in my head.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
check the for sale section, think i seen a couple for sale

·
Super Moderator
9,454 Posts
when he says "fix" - what does he mean? A new 3-4 clutchpack is under $75 and I could do one in under two hours if someone puts the transmission on the bench for me. If he's going to replace all of the seals and go through all the internals for $800, that's an *okay* deal but why don't you just ask him if he could cut you a cheaper deal?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Don't mean to hijack here, but how much milage is too much to do a flush on a trans? I have 99k on my RMW and don't know if it was ever changed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Don't mean to hijack here, but how much milage is too much to do a flush on a trans? I have 99k on my RMW and don't know if it was ever changed.
Different folks will tell you different things here. Some would tell you go for the flush because it won't hurt with your mileage; others would tell you not to touch it or maybe do just a pan service. Personally, I'm of the latter persuasion. When my dad hit 50,000 miles on his '95 DCM (the first year he bought it!!), he told me he was taking it in for a tune-up and to get the trans flushed. I told him "NO" on the flush, but he said the GM guy said it wouldn't hurt and he did it anyway. As soon as he pulled into the garage after getting home from the dealer, you could hear the pump whining loudly. They wound up replacing the transmission. In my '95 DGGM, I bought it with 108,000 miles on the clock. It looks as though the tranny had been rebuilt (you could tell the case had been repainted silver), but I didn't know when. I've put about 78,000 miles on it since and have never done a flush. I've done three pan services in that time and that's it and it still shifts nice and firm with no hint of slippage. See what some others say, but my opinion would be to not flush it with that mileage.

Sorry for the book...cwm6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.