1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all from Ludowici Georgia.
Small town southwest of Savannah.
This is hearseguy, for obvious reasons.
Been watching and reading since I acquired my 1994 Eagle Caprice Alternative hearse with less than 50k miles.
A little explanation. Eagle is the coach builder that turned a wagon into a hearse. Typically the coach builders name is before the car makers. Alternative. Alternative to what? The more expensive Cadillacs and Lincolns.
0629181015c.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Very cool. Wow, that is one long rear end. What are your plans for the car?

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Hearseguy - Welcome! That's a clean looking low mile vehicle there!

Just an FYI, most hearses are actually built on a commercial (sedan) chassis and not wagon chassis. The wagons are ~3" wider than the sedans so the rear axle and swaybars are different. I see yours doesn't have the long back doors ("limo doors") like most cadillacs do. The commercial chassis also have larger front brakes, bigger inner front wheel bearings, tie rod ends, lower ball joints, etc compared to either sedans (except 9C1's) or wagons

I've a 96 Fleetwood hearse as well as a couple roadmaster wagons and all these little subtleties slowly reveal themselves. I'm not sure which combination of parts your caprice hearse is, just be aware that there are several little things like the above that make common parts, not so common :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool. Wow, that is one long rear end. What are your plans for the car?
Yup. Its 6 inches longer behind the rear axle.
At this point a K&N FIPK, an electric water pump yet to be installed, a crown vic rear sway bar, also yet to be installed.
It corners like an overloaded log truck.
Would also like to remove the 50 miles of chrome moulding but thats way off for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hearseguy - Welcome! That's a clean looking low mile vehicle there!

Just an FYI, most hearses are actually built on a commercial (sedan) chassis and not wagon chassis. The wagons are ~3" wider than the sedans so the rear axle and swaybars are different. I see yours doesn't have the long back doors ("limo doors") like most cadillacs do. The commercial chassis also have larger front brakes, bigger inner front wheel bearings, tie rod ends, lower ball joints, etc compared to either sedans (except 9C1's) or wagons

I've a 96 Fleetwood hearse as well as a couple roadmaster wagons and all these little subtleties slowly reveal themselves. I'm not sure which combination of parts your caprice hearse is, just be aware that there are several little things like the above that make common parts, not so common :)

Who is your coach builder?
Looks like Federal by the coach lamps.
Mine started stock wagon.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Can you take a picture of the SPID codes label? Not sure where it would be on the vehicle. That would give info on the original suspension and brakes, for starters.

Cornering like an overloaded log truck--that's a clear image. If you don't want to do much suspension work right now, you'll still get a huge improvement from replacing the easiest pieces--new swaybar rubber or polyurethane up front, and good shocks all around.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Interesting all the different configurations these cars came in/were made into. In a lot of ways it's probably easier if your car is all wagon - parts are easier to find and fewer unique things to deal with. It'll be interesting to see what you do with this one!

I'm pretty sure it's a Federal, but don't remember off hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting all the different configurations these cars came in/were made into. In a lot of ways it's probably easier if your car is all wagon - parts are easier to find and fewer unique things to deal with. It'll be interesting to see what you do with this one!

I'm pretty sure it's a Federal, but don't remember off hand.
Inside the drivers door jam should be a label identifying the builder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you take a picture of the SPID codes label? Not sure where it would be on the vehicle. That would give info on the original suspension and brakes, for starters.

Cornering like an overloaded log truck--that's a clear image. If you don't want to do much suspension work right now, you'll still get a huge improvement from replacing the easiest pieces--new swaybar rubber or polyurethane up front, and good shocks all around.
I'll try and get you one. Think its in the glove box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I think I answered your question but you may not have seen it because of the way I posted it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts