Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Nitrous off the line

14K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  The Bolt-On Terror 
#1 ·
Wassup I just Tryna figure out how much people are spraying Off the line. What the most you Could spray an still hook at the the same time. What kind of tires were u running when doin So radials or slicks n what size Thanx.

#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
On a good starting line, No.
On a typical Test n Tune starting line, Yes.

#5 ·
We also shot 150.
Flashed TC at 3200, 3.73's, on MT DR's.

NOTE*
The first time she did this (wifes races the car), she bent the stock driveshaft.
Her best 60' was @1.7 or so with 7.49 1/8th.

#7 ·
150 shot off the line. i even purge thru the engine to get the best launches. stock suspension, monroe ss shocks, airlift bags and tiny 255/60-15 drag radials and running heavy azz stock rims. wimpy 2800 edge convertor and salt flat 3.73 gears. both that everyone will tell you don't work for drag racing 1.60-.62 sixties are consistent

#8 · (Edited)
This is not a slam on anyone but just good advice and something no one is talking about.

Before you copy what someone else is doing and think you can do as good you better find out what that Impala weighed. If your Impala weighs 400 to 1000 pounds more than the Impala you're trying to copy then your 60 foot, and the entire run, will not be close to what you think it's going to be.

Weight is the emeny in any form of racing and even in the production cars of today as the car companies all know it's key to gas mileage.

So if you want to go fast you better go on a diet or be able to make huge power numbers.

Much like Norm I have run as good as a 1.39 sixty foot with a 3:73 gear, 2500 converter and 4400 pounds. BUT only ONE time because it trashed a bunch of drivetrain parts. A 3400 pound Impala that same type of launch could work more than one time.

Weight is a HUGE deal in this stuff, as much or sometimes more than power.

#9 ·
^^^all very true. i've lightened my car down to 4700lbs me in it to try and help things out. moving two tons of weight is very hard on your driveline

#10 ·
I was spraying a 150 shot off the line.
4100 lbs race weight, 4.10 gears, 3500 rpm torque converter, 28" Hoosier slicks.

1.54 60' time

broke a rear u-joint once because I was using the greassable ones... they're hollow for the grease to flow thru. Make sure you have SOLID u-joints.

#11 ·
If you're near stock power level naturally aspirated, then adding as much weight as you want will ONLY enhance your ability to hook up a 150 shot out of the hole.
I read the OP's question as asking how much of a shot he can hook up, not the expected performance from it.
Near stock NA power level + 150 shot will not break anything on a well-maintained car if you have enough weight and/or traction to hook it up. What WILL break things is when it hooks, then spins, and re-grabs traction. Weight in the back end is your friend in this regard.

#12 ·
Ha !!!!

150 Shot Child's PLAY!!!!!!!!!! 300 + That's Something To Hold On For !!!!!

THE BADDER BOWTIE

(Now Off The Bottle )

#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
Yup !!!!!

Many,Many TIMES!!!!!!!W/ Built Bottom End

Could Off Been The Problem W/ My Tranny's Going South !!!!

THE BADDER BOWTIE

#17 ·
I tried 200 off the line using a .8s delay timer, twice. The first run time was a mess, had to lift to turn around and go back straight, well almost, and still managed a 1.39 60'. The second time it broke the sprag. I was planning to up it to a 350 shot, and still do, but not until I get a progressive controller. My car is an ultra light at 4,100#. ;) Oh wait, that's just around here. Anywhere else it's a fat pig and I'm stupid for wasting my time. :p

#19 ·
Too funny when I read this. I have run a 1.39 60 foot "ONE TIME" and it took the sprag out also. I have never tried to do that again and figured it was something I had no chance to make work with a 4L60E and that much weight.

On the fat pig and wasting your time, I have yet to go to a track where they have not seen the car before and not had everyone looking at it after a pass. It's only because its a fat pig and it should never go that fast. I think thats a lot more fun than just another Camaro or Mustang. One track was calling it the "Big Balck Car" on their PA system and I'm guessing that was because he didn't know it was an Impala but everyone at that track knew which car was the "Big Black Car".

These are great unique cars for any of us to have!!

#18 ·
Yes,....no need to explain that purpose built motors can take a 300 or larger on the first gun. I was just surprised that John was doing that because I never saw his car leave really hard nor have a traction problem all the times I've seen it run back when it was a nitrous motor.

#20 ·
This thread is great! I ran my rmw on a 100 shot off the line with bolt ons and the yank ss3600 and stock 2.93's on a set of 10 inch m&h's and pissed off all of my friends with "faster" cars going from stop light to stop light. Now I'm Procharged but I will always remember the looks I got when I would spray it. I wonder how the stock bottom end will like 6psi and a 50 shot... Oh man why did I read this thread... Nomrlz we need to line the wagons up to entertain people...

#21 ·
that would be sumptin to see two grampa cars getting down and not needing sundials

#22 ·
So a stock and good conditioned motor can launch off the line with a 100 shot with no problem? Were you guys running wet or dry systems and what else did you guys upgrade to make your motor accept the juice???

#23 ·
No problem.
Wet.
Window switch, one step colder plugs, pull 4 deg timing, upgraded wiring to the fuel pump. Make sure your pump is good (check the pressure under full power with the nitrous system on). Better yet, something like a genuine Walbro 255 lph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.