Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nittotire.com/tire_nt450_overview.asp

How do you think these tires would work on a 17x9.5" rim on a slightly lowered Impy SS?

The reason I ask is, I'm strongly considering these for my SS. I put in 3.73s and I'd like to get some RPM back for around town & highway driving. With the 275/40s RPMs are about equal to having a 3.92 gear with stock tires. While this is great for acceleration, it sucks for all the highway driving I do (my GF lives 35miles away and that's 90% interstate.)
Going with the taller (27.8") 275/50s, it would be like swapping to 3.62 gears with stock tires. Or it would be almost identical to 275/40s with 3.42 gears.

A couple more plusses... the taller sidewall would help rider comfort... the added circumference will benefit with added traction... the deeper tread will let the tires legally last longer (a problem I seem to have with tires on my cars :rolleyes: ... and it'll give my a little more under car clearance so I won't scrape when going in and out of my driveway.

Oh yeah, would they rub anywhere other than the front swaybar? My current tires do that and it isn't a big deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have those tires on my wagon on Impala Wheels and it rides very nice. But the wagons springs are designed for 28" tires and these are 27.8". They'll fit easy in the back. If you were close to Dallas, I'd let you try them. They will rub a little on my Hotchkis front bar during hard cornering.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David, I am close to Dallas :D

I'll be at the HOSS meeting this weekend. I see that you are also a member, so you better be there too

Unfortunately, I won't be in the SS. I'm still having tranny problems with it. When I get it back on the road, I'll definitley hook up with you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where, when is the meeting. I went to the September meeting in Arlington.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adio$$:
How do you think these tires would work on a 17x9.5" rim on a slightly lowered Impy SS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The big question Cheston ..... by how much are you going to lower the beast? That would be the determining factor.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's already lowered, but it still has the stock springs, spindles and I've only replaced teh swaybars. Of course, I did do a little off-roading a while back and it hasn't sat right since. It is low enough now to tuck the tires just a little. However, I do plan on at least swapping some better springs on the front and replacing the rear axle tubes with osme that aren't BENT.

Anyway, I'm looking for around what Caprice Eibachs lower it to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.