Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My climate control in my ‘95 wagon lights up.... fan speed lights even operate.... but nothing is blowing. Short on time so brought it to my local mechanic. They tell me it’s the blower motor and blower motor resistor. This is my 300k mile winter car, but may be getting rid of it in a year or so, so don’t want to rack up a bill. They tell me the motor is $55 and resistor $200.... plus $100 install.

Any recommendations on where to at least save money on the resistor and pick one up for much less?

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
Buy a used resistor from one of us. Bench test your fan, replace with used if needed. Replace them yourself. It will take about 20 min.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Your symptoms do not sound exactly like I had, but enough same components at play that you might pick pieces/hints from here:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/53-heating-cooling-hvac/1314456-climate-control-only-blower-stays.html

If you have true climate control then it's called a module. A used one is a viable gambit, but did not pan out for me. I found cheaper equally performing alternates to "that genuine GM feeling".

EDIT: As referred below, parts procured on this forum are historically more reliable than internet, though I (luckily) got extra-rapid refund for my (unfortunately dead) ebay purchase.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Check the fan by removing it, and putting battery voltage across the leads (it has a lot of torque, so be careful), and if the fan works, replace the module (you can get one here for about $50). If the fan does not run, replace the fan (also available here for about $50). I have both parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts