Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve tried looking in the forums but couldn’t find a similar problem. I have a 1996 impala ss. Whenever I turn my headlights on, my lights on the A/C knobs and cluster don’t turn on (including my mileage turns off too) does anyone know where I should start looking at? I’ve checked fuses but I haven’t found one that’s been blown

( I have switched out my dimmer and light sensitivity Control panel)

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
On its own the odometer disappearing is a very common issue. Search 'odometer fade'. Bad solders and /or resister.

If you are stating that in fact ALL the cluster and A/C goes out the instant you hit the switch, then it tells me to look for a weak/old ground. Again, VERY common.

The fact that the odo vanishes simultaneously with this increased draw is even more indication to check ground(s).

Important question: what led up to this issue? Any recent work inside or out that involved or disturbed the quarter-century old wiring?

And welcome, but your first-ever post is supposed to be in New Member Introductions section. Tell us a little about yourself there, and fill in profile info if you plan of sticking around on here.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The same circuit that dims the florescent numbers dims the cluster bulbs, climate panel, and radio.

Since you did not mention radio my first question is it stock or aftermarket? If aftermarket what did the installer do with the dimming circuit wire?

The part that actually dims the lights is the one below. The control sets the level for the module . You may have a wire problem between the dash dial and the module or it could be fried.

Read through this thread. Fuses and wiring diagrams are all in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On its own the odometer disappearing is a very common issue. Search 'odometer fade'. Bad solders and /or resister.

If you are stating that in fact ALL the cluster and A/C goes out the instant you hit the switch, then it tells me to look for a weak/old ground. Again, VERY common.

The fact that the odo vanishes simultaneously with this increased draw is even more indication to check ground(s).

Important question: what led up to this issue? Any recent work inside or out that involved or disturbed the quarter-century old wiring?

And welcome, but your first-ever post is supposed to be in New Member Introductions section. Tell us a little about yourself there, and fill in profile info if you plan of sticking around on here.
okay

Do you know which grounds I should be checking for?

I’m not really sure what led to it I bought the car about three months ago and theissuer just started last week.

okay I will go to the introduction forums and introduce myself. Thank you very much !

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Just to note, he has an analog 96 dash.
Isnt the oddo just going to the dim " lights on " mode?
Coupled with him having no dash lights the oddo is going dark because of that, not resistor issue that kills the oddo at ALL times?

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Just to note, he has an analog 96 dash.
Isnt the oddo just going to the dim " lights on " mode?
Coupled with him having no dash lights the oddo is going dark because of that, not resistor issue that kills the oddo at ALL times?
Dam yes. Coincidntally exactly the logic flow I was after anyway to point OP in 2 mostlikely directions. 'Ol Juan would already be 1/2 way there if he/she had a used $50 set of FSMs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts