Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I started a thread about the ride I just picked up over in the Roady section but I figured that most don't go there. here is the link
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=250110

Now I am down to trying to get the car to run and I have no fuel pressure, the guy I bought it from replaced the fuel pump and I can tell as I dropped the tank to check the internal connection, and I removed that connector on the bulkhead connector and soldered the pins on, Any way to save me typing this is what I posted over in the other post on what I found.

So I dropped the tank and pulled the pump and sending unit out, the connector looked ok I guess, but I yanked the connector off and soldered the pins to the bulkhead pins, tested the pump and it sounded better, found the float was off of the resistor lever as well. so I fixed that. Anyway I put power to the pump with it installed and pumped some gas into a gas can seemed like it had a great stream coming out of it, so I put it all back in hooked up my gauge and the same [email protected]# won't even register on it. I let it prime for a bit and check it again and same thing won't register, with the vacuum line connected to the regulator or not, I get nothing on the gauge, checked the whole run of fuel lines and all looks good, I am wondering and I can see that he did replace the pump, if he screwed something up when putting it together so it doesn't get any pressure really out of it, I don't know, I wouldn't think that the filter or the regulator is the cause as I am getting fuel to the rails. The weird thing is the car ran after he put the pump in it for a week perfectly then it slowly puttered down to the point where it wouldn't run, I guess I will just shotgun a sending unit and pump assembly at it and see what happens. I hate doing that, but it is all that I can think of. The only reason that I say that I am going to replace the whole unit is the rod that pump assembly essentially rides up and down on or is spring loaded is bent and I couldn't get it straight, I wouldn't think that this is right.

Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Check the flex hose between the pump and the hard lines on the sending unit. They can develop hairline cracks that will cause this.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the flex hose between the pump and the hard lines on the sending unit. They can develop hairline cracks that will cause this.
Thanks bud I chatted with Bewb last night and he said the same thing, the sending unit is pretty AFU in this car as the lever is broken so I will most likely just get a new one install it and call it a day, thanks for the insight.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured it out, they put in the wrong fuel pump the output tube didn't seat in the clear plastic tube or the retainer that is attached to this tube., all fixed fired on the first key bump, other problems to figure out, off idle hesitation or almost dies when bumping the throttle, fuel pressure is good and maintains, so defintely not a regulator, also backfires a little too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Other issues sound like ignition problems. Good luck. Just let me know when you want to swing by for that radiator bracket.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other issues sound like ignition problems. Good luck. Just let me know when you want to swing by for that radiator bracket.
Yeah I will do that, I am not sure that it is ignition issue or not, maybe I am going to through a new opti on it and waterpump as well and see what happens. I tested the fuel pressure after the pump change and it was spot on, but the gas is dirty, so it could be that or the cap is starting to crap out I don't know I will figure it out, I have to change the trans anyway.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, maybe. I just read the "noise" post, as well. Not sure, I've never heard that before. Gurgling (sp?) sound could be air trapped in the heads that you're hearing through the intake.

I've got a brand new AC Delco Opti overhaul Kit I'll sell you if you're interested. I'm thinking $75, I paid $155 for it back in the spring.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, maybe. I just read the "noise" post, as well. Not sure, I've never heard that before. Gurgling (sp?) sound could be air trapped in the heads that you're hearing through the intake.

I've got a brand new AC Delco Opti overhaul Kit I'll sell you if you're interested. I'm thinking $75, I paid $155 for it back in the spring.
That is not bad what comes with it? I need a new cap for sure, but does it come with the optical sensor and all that trash. I can just get a new one from bigbadwolf for a great price as well, just let me know. I am not sure on the gurgling, it is wierd, maybe I will shoot a vid of it, I have never heard it before on an LT1, could be the regulator maybe, I don't know I don't think that it is right that is for sure.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cap and Rotor kit. No sensor or housing, although I have an opti that has a good sensor if you want the sensor. Housing is bad, long story....

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will think about it and let you know.

Ran the car today and it seems like it is getting better, the MAF was throwing a code, but the plug wasn't seating right, so I may have found it, still kind of backfires, but the exhaust is a major hacked together p.o.s.. Not sure on the gurlging sound it almost sounds like the fuel going through the fuel rail, I will have to see if my car does it, as it isn't affecting anything that I can tell. checked all teh of the injector resistances and all are with in .03 of an ohm beside one that is reading a little lower but falls into spec though.

Scanned it with free scan and the O2's are working well, BLM's are right at 128 of course they fluctuate a little but are within target, coolant temp rises like it should, seeing vacuum and MAF and all that, so it would see all the sensors are good, I will throw in a new opti or rebuilt, which ever I decide when I do the water pump, swap in the 96 trans that I have get the exhaust right and see where it sits then, should be ok, and maybe the bad gas will be worked out of it by then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts