Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have been driving around with no heat for days.the radiator hoses never even got hot. today i drained the system (car has new radiator)replaced the thermostat ,refilled system ran car for 15 minutes the heat was like a blast furnace it was so hot (gauge was reading between 1/4 to 1/2. great thought it was fixed.

i go out couple hours later to go for ride the gauge climbs to same point but nothing but cold air agin no heat. what do i do next ? flush the heater core. the antifreeze looked clean but i put in new anyways

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just a update. just drove home from work 45 mins sitting in traffic still no heat. i checked the hoses. the upper hose and the heater hoses were hot to the touch. the bottom radiator hose was ice cold. could it be the waterpump is not circulating the coolant thru the system. gauge is reading between 1/4 and 1/2 on the scale.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check your thermostat, it might be stuck closed. Did you keep your old thermostat? try putting in the old one and see if it changes anything

·
0 Posts
I am having heat issues also. It is a little warm but not anough for this Cincy winter. Yesterday I flushed the core, it was a dirty green, ran water though till clear, then I flushed rad till clear, flushed motor till clear, hooked all back up was a little warmer but back to luke warm air now. My temp gauge goes up to the sec white line at running temp, gets hotter if it sits as it should till fan kicks on which is a little above half on the gauge. Radiator is hot to touch, all lines are hot. Therm?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am having heat issues also. It is a little warm but not anough for this Cincy winter. Yesterday I flushed the core, it was a dirty green, ran water though till clear, then I flushed rad till clear, flushed motor till clear, hooked all back up was a little warmer but back to luke warm air now. My temp gauge goes up to the sec white line at running temp, gets hotter if it sits as it should till fan kicks on which is a little above half on the gauge. Radiator is hot to touch, all lines are hot. Therm?

I have done the exact same steps and i got the exact same results. I have replaced thermo as well.

·
0 Posts
when I flushed the core, hose pushing water though core line, out the other it was dirty then went clear so I have to assume the core is not clogged? I had a good slow, did not see stopped up.
When I did the radiator I went in the top hose and pushed out the bottom. It was dirty then went clear. The car is not over heating at all. Must be the thermostat?

·
0 Posts
I have done the exact same steps and i got the exact same results. I have replaced thermo as well.
It did get hotter but today I am back where I was. Maybe the core is clogged and is flowing though the few good spots and thus not enough hot water in there to heat.

·
0 Posts
one thing I have not done yet is BURP the system of air. Can that make that much of a diff in the thing not heating the car?

·
9,190 Posts
It did get hotter but today I am back where I was. Maybe the core is clogged and is flowing though the few good spots and thus not enough hot water in there to heat.
when you flushed the system did you run the heater?

you need to flush the system with the heater on, i bet you core is full of crap

·
0 Posts

It was on, but I don't think on HIGH. But I put a hose to one of the two core lines and for a bit (2 min or so) got a nasty brown/green fluid, no chunks of anything. Then eventually it was runing clear water out the other hose.
I ran water throught the holding tank till it ran clear, did the same for the radiator, hooked but the hoses to the left side connections to water pump and thermo housing and put hose in holding tank and ran the car and it pushed out the same nasty colors for a bit then went clear. I don't get it.

·
0 Posts
if all that is clean, the temos on the gauge are running fine, can the thermostat be the issue?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Why do you have to run the heater at all? It's not like the core "opens or closes" based on the heater dial setting. The dial just opens/closes vent doors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Be sure you restrict the drainage out of the one hose while flushing through the other hose. That way the water cant just 'short circuit' around any crap in the core, but is forced through the core. An old embalming trick...:)

My nozzle has a tapered end and fits snugly in the larger hose. I slightly pinch off the other open hose to build pressure in the core. Then backflush through the other hose. I dont clamp the nozzle. That way, if the pressure gets too high, the nozzle just drops out!

·
0 Posts
ALVon, I am going to try your trick. I put in a new thermastat today, heat seems better but itis above 40 today. See how she acts in the cold but when I did pull the thrermo housing the fluid was a nice green, no brown crap. I am still not getting hot hot heat that I get in other cars but it is much better then 2 days ago. I will flush that core one more time like ALVON did and see if it kicks out some more crap. I suspect it is still clogged a tiny bit. But today the coolant is green still. So the system must be somewhat in decent shape.
On my prev 9c1 I had I NEVER cleaned the system. Then one day the SOB would get SUPER hot with in 3 or 4 min of drive. One local name brand shop said it was a head gasket, new motor prog needed. I got it to my shop I used for 20 years at the time. Turned out the fluid in system was so nasty that it ate off the fins on the water pump. New pump, she ran like a top, nice and cool. Sold it at 175k in awesome runnign shape.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I changed the valve on the hose that runs to the heater core, black plastic, did the trick! That was after I flushed the system, and a new heater core and still had no heat!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just did it

I had the same 'no heat' problem on my Fleewood. I just came back from a drive after flushing the heater core and the coolant tank..... simple job, and it worked like a charm. Quite a bit of crud came out, and before too long, it ran clear. What a difference that made! The heater CRANKED out the heat on just a short drive. This is going to be nice the rest of the winter.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
You really should do it every fall. The heater core is like a coolant filter. If something small is floating in your coolant, the heater core will catch it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Why do you have to run the heater at all? It's not like the core "opens or closes" based on the heater dial setting. The dial just opens/closes vent doors.
EXACTLY.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts