Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have 1995 impala ss and am stuck in Indianapolis during this snow storm because my dimmer switch went bad. Is there any work around or anything that I can do quickly to get back on the road. All auto parts stores are closed. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I probably didn't get to you in time, but here goes...

I had the headlight switch go out on me and ended up wiring one headlight directly to the positive battery terminal just to get home. I think I grounded it on one of the hood supports. Next day I tore apart the headlight switch and fixed it.

I took the switch apart to try and fix it. IIRC, the switch has a copper tie bar that's soldered into place (at least on my 9C1). It had come loose, maybe from vibration, maybe from all of the other abuse the police put this poor pile through. I resoldered it into place and the headlights worked again.

While I had the switch apart, I coated all of the contacts with Cool Amp. It is a powder that is applied with water and deposits a thin layer of silver on copper contacts. I tend to use it whenever I rebuild switches and stuff. It's expensive, but a small package lasts forever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.