Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm pretty much at my wits end here. As stated in the title I don't have a key for my lugs. I belive the the wheels are GM Factory. Although I'm not possitive as I can't get them off to look for the stamp. Do any of you guys have a key I could buy from ya if you don't need it? I've talked to a lot of people on ways to get the lug off w-out a key. I tried pounding a socket over the lug. It did nothing. I even tried an air hammer. The "Kit" from sears only made a ring around the lug as it cut into the aluminum (pissed about that) It didn't cut or grab the lug at all. I don't think thier is enough of the lug protruding out. Oh, by the way these are the 94-96 style wheels. Any other suggestions thoughts? I need to change breakpads and can't get these damn things off! HA, sorry for the yelling....
Kenton

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
i know you suggested it, but when I bought my wagon had no key!

I beat a impact socket over them, than got them right off with an impact gun.

did no damage to wheel either

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size impact socket? And how did you get enough force to hit it on? I've tried every angle possible. I can't get a decent hit. The air hammer just rattled the socket around and chipped the lug. The problem I'm running into is the sidewall of the inpact sockets. Thier thicker than a regular one and I can't seem to get one over it.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I'm sure they must make lugs stronger than 30 years ago, but I got two off my BIL's Vega after he rounded them off using the wrong wrench. I made him pay for a few different sized chisels that I could orient to get the best bite - beat big divits into the lug first - then took to slowly backing them out. I used heat and WD40 too. Took a while, but I kept them chisels - still got'em. cwm1

You can Dremmel a land into them too and do the smack out that way I guess.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
on my tahoe same problem...talked to a local wheel shop and made like 4-5 trips to get the right key...and nothing so they suggested a hammer and socket...so we had to hammer a socket and it did the trick

·
Registered
835 Posts
Try a 12pt 1/2 drive chrome socket -- maybe size 18mm or 19mm

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Mr. -Clone,

It's been 5 days - waddidjado?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts