Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Since my debacle with the vette pushing my caddy off until possibly early next year, and since I've always got multiple irons in the fire, I was starting to see if I could figure out a way to swing a stroker block from Karl over the winter. It's been a part of my long-term plan all along and figured since I now had the entire top-end, why waste my time, effort and money putting it on the stock block if I was going to have to pull it all off later and swap it to a different block. So I cruise on over to his website for the umpteenth time to gather info and mostly just ogle.

And bam! Big red notice right on the home page: no new customers, no more engine builds for at least 8 months, and you can get on a waiting list if you want. I mean, I'm not mad at him, I'm just super dejected by that right now. If I decide to pull the trigger on the block, that means the car will sit undriveable for at least another full year. It's already been down for a full year since I popped a head gasket which prompted me to get a LE head and cam package, but the vette and other projects prevented me from getting to work on the caddy all year.

Ellwein Engines Home Page

Registered
Any number of the shops that build engines for stock car racing in IA/NE/IL/MO/WI/MN can handle your short block. Find one or two that are within an easy drive to you and do a little research on their reputations.

Registered
If you're interested, I'm selling my fully forged 396 stroker with AI 200cc top end. The bottom end was originally built by Golen, had about 500 miles on it before I pulled it to swap out the pistons for dished ones (which never happened, engine sat at machine shop for years and I since decided to go LS). My machinist is installing the original pistons back in it now.

I'm selling it as a complete short block and then the brand new AI top end separate (not installed). Let me know if you may be interested, I had another buyer that seemed committed about a year back but my machinist got delayed a bit and i don't know if my first buyer will still be serious when it's ready.

I needed to get 5k for the complete assembled rotating assembly and complete AI 200cc top end. I paid about 4k for the short block alone and almost 3k for the AI top end/ported manifold/billet cam/new GM cores so it's definitely saving you a few thousand.

Registered
I'd need it installed.

We'll see. I've been thinking about selling the car recently. I've had it for 5-6 years now. Feel like I want something new.

Registered
I'd need it installed.

We'll see. I've been thinking about selling the car recently. I've had it for 5-6 years now. Feel like I want something new.

Hey! I forgot you were member here haha. With the stroker it will feel like new :-D haha

I hear you though, sometimes things get stale and there are so many new performance cars to choose from that do everything better than a B body. I haven't driven mine in 12 years, so the bug to buy something else never hit me lol

and you're right, I think we did say top end installed. It has been so long, I don't even remember. Whatever it was we agreed on, I'm still good with it if you still want it when it's finished.

Premium Member
Yikes! I'm ERE #90 right now, glad I sent the motor to him when I did.

Registered
I'd need it installed.

Hey! I forgot you were member here haha. With the stroker it will feel like new 馃槃 haha

I hear you though, sometimes things get stale and there are so many new performance cars to choose from that do everything better than a B body. I haven't driven mine in 12 years, so the bug to buy something else never hit me lol

and you're right, I think we did say top end installed. It has been so long, I don't even remember. Whatever it was we agreed on, I'm still good with it if you still want it when it's finished.

LOL was it me you originally talked to? I don't even remember.

I would want the whole thing, but I need the motor installed too. I don't have anywhere to keep it or any way to transport it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
While Karl is highly regarded, another option is Golen. I bought my 4 bolt forged 383 short block from them. 40+k mi now and engine is solid

Golen might be an option. I've been aware of them, I don't recall ever hearing anything other than good things about them and they probably would be my second choice. I think the appeal of Ellwein though is his customer service, it simply can't be beat. Not sure what route I'll go yet though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Well, a quick and unfortunate update. We're getting ever closer to when Ellwein was supposed to start taking orders again, (I believe his website originally said July of this year he'd be back at it) so I was on there over the weekend to do some window shopping and discovered it had recently been updated. As of now he's not taking any orders until the end of the year. He's apparently become enamored with engine tuning, and I guess I don't blame him. Engine tuning is certainly easier and probably has a higher profit margin than engine building. I'm definitely starting to wonder now though if he's ever going to build engines again. When I get some free time I plan to reach out to him and see if I can get any sort of definite information.

Registered
If you live out in Iowa, you might want to contact Mike Harris to build a mill.
He's in Ohio and holds the record for fastest all-motor LT1 Impala SS.

Nab

Registered
Mike Harris is a superb motor/trans builder. Also talented fabricator of crossmembers,etc. Fortunate to have him nearby,as we both live in the Dayton area. His screen name on this forum is 1FAST94...

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I was unaware that Mike Harris did engines. I knew he did transmissions and I knew he had a reputation for having a wicked fast Impala, and of course the other odds and ends he makes, but didn't know about engines. Ohio is a bit of a hike though, I'd have zero interest in making that round trip so I'd still be having it shipped to me. As weird as it sounds, and I know he has a stellar reputation, it just annoys me that Ellwein said one thing (he'd start taking orders again in the middle of '19) and now he's saying he won't take any until the end of the year or later. I assume anyone else could build an engine with matching parts and specs, but he had everything I needed right on his website, all I needed to do was order it. I planned to go with one of his stroker engines for boost, spring for the callies rod and crank upgrades so I'd be future proofed for whatever stupidity I get into down the road, and possibly even have him install my top-end given my lack of experience with putting together pushrod motors.

I should have gotten in touch with him sooner and maybe gotten onto his waiting list, but I knew I'd be a ways out on putting together the money for that order and so I put it off. As much as I hate leaving the car sitting around not moving, I'm tempted to put some money towards getting something else done on the car this year so I won't feel like I've just been pounding sand for nearly two years. I'd probably finish up the other rear-end for it and get a driveshaft made for it so I'm ready for the engine. The car still moves under its own power, so I could install those in the fall when it cools off a little, do the engine next year and tweak the tune. At that point it'd be driveable again, and do the suspension the following year (I think I'm out to 2021 at that point, and I'd be turning 40 that year, blech). I wanted to have the car done by the time I was 40, but I'll settle for mechanically done, the cosmetics can wait awhile longer.

Registered
There's literally no reason to mope about Ellwein not building engines anymore, or Harris being in OH when there are a dozen engine shops that could build a Gen 2 SBC to meet your needs in this state. Get it done now before they start building engines over the winter for the stock car guys.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
There's literally no reason to mope about Ellwein not building engines anymore, or Harris being in OH when there are a dozen engine shops that could build a Gen 2 SBC to meet your needs in this state. Get it done now before they start building engines over the winter for the stock car guys.

Fair point, I have been a bit mopey and somewhat of a "Debbie Downer" over the whole thing. I do that to myself sometimes though. Just one of my many character flaws. :grin2:

Privately I've been given an interesting tip from someone here whom I trust and seems to have some inside information. I may still be able to work things out the way I'd like, I just need to get my butt into "stop being lazy, be proactive and get stuff done" mode.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to update this, but as of a few weeks ago he started taking orders again. Still haven't placed mine, waiting until I have all the money up front. Which I'm very, very close on, but waiting to see how things play out with my youngest brother. I took out a loan for him a few years ago so he could buy a car and he's been perfect about the payments until a recent bad breakup with his girlfriend caused him to become depressed and quit going to work which resulted in him getting fired. Millennials, I tell ya. So I could get stuck in a bad spot where I have to decide to either bail him out or let the car be repossessed and wreck my credit for the next 7 years. Definitely not going to be easy to forgive him if I end up having to blow my engine block money on payong off his car loan and delaying my build for who knows how many years. Only time will tell I guess. I need another drink.

Premium Member
...鈥.my youngest brother. I took out a loan for him a few years ago so he could buy a car and he's been perfect about the payments until a recent bad breakup with his girlfriend caused him to become depressed and quit going to work which resulted in him getting fired...鈥..
Your brother needs to go into the military.

They WILL help him get 're-focused'. :D

KW

1 - 20 of 26 Posts