Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
no power on wire/coil

where does the coil wire pull its power from, is their a relay under the dash thats controlls it?

beyond grounds what else could case no power @ the coil wire.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Icm.

---

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
10 amp fuse under the hood. Not sure which one, no FSM here.

It should be the PINK wire on the BLACK coil connector.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Wouldn't the main wire harness tie into the engine relay box? I mean the battery is tied into that to. Maybe, take the engine relay box apart and trace the faulty engine control module back from the relay box, or check the fuses that tie into that sys...

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i really guess i should of stated what we have already done...excuse the newbness i figured you would of assumed we already checked the normall **** since we wrench all the time...

ok so the car had a ruff idle powered off, no start from there.

towed to the house
did the gas trick to ensure FP is good(gas in the TB to get it started)...that failed

pulled a plug wire attempted to crank for spark....no spark
pulled the coil wire, cranked...no spark

pulled the coil wire, while i held a screw dirver....ehhh FTW cranked...no spark (pheewww)

changed ICM / coil and complete bracket
checked the grounds, and fuses...everything looks good..

noticed a wire was spliced into the coil wire and runs up under the dash....didnt have time last night to trace the wire, however that wire has been there for years and it has ran...

ooo and a FYI , dont hook a direct line to the coil from the bat...to attempt a hotwire bypass.... :D

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
http://shbox.com/1/95_ign_system_schematic.jpg

The fuse "callout" is the same for the b body. The same schematic is also used. Other than that you might need to go after the ign switch wiring. The ign power buss in the underhood panel gets its power through the passenger side firewall passthrough connector from the ign switch

Chris

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://shbox.com/1/95_ign_system_schematic.jpg

The fuse "callout" is the same for the b body. The same schematic is also used. Other than that you might need to go after the ign switch wiring. The ign power buss in the underhood panel gets its power through the passenger side firewall passthrough connector from the ign switch

Chris
i love you you fellow round man...i needed that diag...

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I went through this a little over a year ago. If you have an FSM, the diagnostics will walk you through a step-by-step process to isolate the problem. Here is my thread from last year. There is a lot of advice in there that might help you. Good luck - you have a frustrating problem.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=229482

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
-if its a 96....
y/n

if yes
-open the harness that leads to the ICM and coil back to the#1 injector

-inspect the pink wire from the ICM and coil back twards the fire wall

-look for discoloration
pink = good
turned orange = not so good
turned brown = bad
turned black = beyond bad

this wire is too small on 96's and larger on 93-95 LT1s
if it is hard, crispy, stiff, and turned darker than pink
replace it
and replace it with a thicker wire!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
^^^ It's a 95, no discoloration to the plug or coming from the harness. All the wires is still look good. The problem is, there's no power running through the connector/plug that powers the coil.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
noticed a wire was spliced into the coil wire and runs up under the dash....didnt have time last night to trace the wire, however that wire has been there for years and it has ran...
.... :D
...did you trace this wire??

may have been a kill switched scabed in...and is now f#$&ed up....

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
...did you trace this wire??

may have been a kill switched scabed in...and is now f#$&ed up....
Hmmm... good idea to check the iginition, but the kill switch tied into it hasn't worked in a couple years.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Check the opti, I believe there is a module inside of it, that cause it to spark. This issue occured on a friends car until we figured out it was the opti and opti Harness leading to the injectors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts