Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rear defroster hasn't been working (probably hasn't been since I bought the car) I searched the forums and did all of the basic stuff.

1. checked the fuse
2. swapped fuse with nearby power seat fuse (seats worked defroster didn't)
3. checked connector pins at the back windshield (seemed fine)
4. Checked lines for breaks (looked fine)

When I press the button the light comes on and stays on for 3-5 mins (I haven't timed it but seems like the normal operating time) When I ran a voltage meter across the two connectors I get0.00

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Try swapping in the relay from the power seats. Normal operating time is longer than that. It is a common problem to have the rear defrost draw too much current for the relay, so the defrost only runs for a few minutes before it's tripped. The fix is to use a higher rated relay. I forget the actual numbers off the top of my head, but whatever is used for the power seats should be sufficient, and solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2. swapped fuse with nearby power seat fuse (seats worked defroster didn't)
If you are talking about the giant fuse like thing in the driverside door panel. I swapped the one for the seat for the rear defroster and still nothing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
When you checked the pins did you check for power @ the back window?
Check it between pins & power (purple?) to body ground
Did you check your ground wire in the trunk? left side?

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
If you are talking about the giant fuse like thing in the driverside door panel. I swapped the one for the seat for the rear defroster and still nothing.
The relay looks more like a can, the fuse looks like, well, a fuse.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found one of the ground wires loose in the trunk. Driver side was tight passenger side was not even touching. Tightened down the connection and got 9.6 V from connector to connector.

Shouldn't have any more issues now. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts