Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my son and I a 96 impala ss and I'm getting no power to the column at no start I got head lights and tail light wires all checkin out relays look good i cant figure it out

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
This car is just like one from the 60-70-80s. Power comes from the battery goes to the under hood fuse box then runs through several fuses. The separate wires run to the ignition switch at the bottom of the column. You are suggesting several 60 Amp circuits are not working so check the wire between the battery and the under hood fuse box, the fuses, and if you have power to the several circuits at the ignition switch. If all that is good, does the rod to the switch move when you twist the key?

The headlights are on a totally different circuit path .

Here is a link to the circuit diagrams: (click on the A)

A

Sorry I do not have time to list the diagrams you need. Have a look at them till you find what you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen the car run it has an alarm to it but I get nothing to the column at all I asked a local mechanic he said it sounds like a ignition switch

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
but I get nothing to the column at all
If you do not get power to the ignition switch why would you replace the ignition switch? This would be like replacing your home's light switches and expecting the lights to work, when in fact the power lines to your house are missing.

Again there are three main power circuits on separate wires that go to the ignition switch. If you can not find any power at the switch you need to look for a problem before the switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts