Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend and i are putting an lt1 in his 69 firebird, the bird had a mechanical fuel pump.
would i damage the engine if we just plugged up the revrse line on the fuel rail?
would i loose out on performance, you guys think it is a good idea? or should we just run the fuel lines?
thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you will need to put a fuel pump on it. that way you will have a steady fuel pressure. then again, if you put a carb on this motor, then it wont matter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we are using fuel injection.
the fuel pump is going inside the engine bay, but we won't have the reverse flow, back to the gas tank. there would only be one fuel line going from the gas tank to the engine, and no revrse at all. you think that setup would do fine?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thought on this is that yes you need the return. Here's why. The stock system uses a fuel pump to pressurize the fuel rails. The fuel pressure regulator keeps the fuel rails at constant pressure(needed for fuel injection) and returns all excess to the tank. If you delete the return, you cannot use a regulator. If you have no need for the regulator, you could have problems with under or more than likely overpressurization. Not good for injectors. Hope that made some sense.

Mav

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on the pump you use, you must have a return line.
Most high-pressure pumps have no pressure control.
They run full blast and the pressure is controlled by how much fuel the regulator returns to the tank.
If you try to control pressure with a single line "dead head" regulator you will kill the pump or worse.
Also the LT1 regulator is referenced to manifold pressure and it is important to keep this feature.
Lastly the fuel pump should be as close to the tank as possible. They do not suck well and are designed to push fuel. Sucking fuel all the way to the front is also inviting vapour as you are lowering the pressure in the lines
Other than a booster pump you really don’t want the pump at the front.
Gerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.