Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I surprisingly didn't find much in the way of gas mileage (mpg) tweeks...

I just purchased a 1995 Buick Brochure which shows the RMW without its roof racks, which made me THINK...

My '93 Caprice wagon's manual stated that by compressing both racks together, which you could actually do back in 1993, into a "spoiler," a 1 mpg improvement can be attained--AND IT DID!!

With both those thoughts running through my head, I wonder if removing the roof racks on my 95 RMW will improve fuel economy??

I will be trying it anyway, but just wondering if anyone else has tried this and found a difference. If not, I will report back!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey never actually stopped to think about the snow thing; that will definitely help with snow removal!

I guess poor gas mileage is just the curse for having such an awesome car... Its the price we have to pay...and I will pay it.

BUT, I won't stop looking for ways to pay less, and I will track my mileage once I remove the racks.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I had a 95 Jeep CHerokee and I took the Thule racks off when I took the auto train (to get under the oversize height requirement) and I saw close to 2 mpg on the HWY!

I'm thinking the mpg savings would only play in at hwy speeds though. under 50 it probably would make a big a difference....

·
Registered
383 Posts
I believe the mPG savings without seeing myself. I do know that when the first rack is slid towards the front of the car, after I've just hauled something, it will whistle like crazy while driving over 40mph. It will drive ya nuts.
I always slide mine back, aka spoiler style, since it is quiet there. Good to know it provides fuel savings, too.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I would think that the MPG savings, if any, would be seen more on a caprice without the racks instead of the roadmaster. The roadmaster's vista glass should direct the airflow over them more so than the caprice which has nothing there.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 93 RMW has a 350 TBI and all i did was move the Air Intake Temp Sensor out of the stock air cleaner box and extended the wire harness so it is over by the passenger fender by the a/c box and i am getting 28 mpg on the highway at 80 mph With headers , dual flowmasters,93 astrovan 700R4 with shift kit and stock 3.23 posi. And i am running a edelbrock performer rpm intake with a transdapt adapter that makes the 4bbl carb intake to Throttle body a bolt on ..Now that is great for power too

And i also have a new take out ramjet 350 roller cam.I paid.$40 for it on ebay. Has a nice lopey sound to it too..

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Some motors and cars get better mileage for no obvious reason. It's just a fact of life. I get 12mpg city in the winter on the mandated E10 they run here in NY. Lots of short trips and warming up if my wife is along for the ride. I can barely crack 22mpg on the highway.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I bought my wagon for what it is..definitely not for gas mileage.

I luv the threads for folks looking for a way to improve MPG in a big B body sedan or wagon. "HINT" don't buy a B body.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, SO TRUE!

I certainly didn't buy my wagons and my Caprice for their fuel economy, but they do get pretty good mileage considering they weigh 4500+ lbs and carry a powerhouse under the hood...

I am glad to see that others are getting the same mileage as me in the winter since this is my first LT1 (the others have the old 5.7TBI and the L99)

And I don't think there is any harm in finding small modifications to help with gas mileage. Any little bit helps!

B-Body's are awesome nonetheless!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think that the MPG savings, if any, would be seen more on a caprice without the racks instead of the roadmaster. The roadmaster's vista glass should direct the airflow over them more so than the caprice which has nothing there.

You have a very good point there...I will have to see how the RMW works out without its racks.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I generally get 17 MPG hammering around town and 23-24 MPG when cruising on the highway. Just fill up the tank when empty and be happy. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought my wagon for what it is..definitely not for gas mileage.
I bought my wagon for exactly that reason. I had a chevy venture, that on it's best day would get 22MPG on the highway. It had no balls and it looked exactly like every other minivan in the lot. My first 93 caprice wagon got 19 with mixed driving and 24 on all interstate driving. My 95 averages around 17 mixed driving and 24-25 on the highway. To me...this is the what makes the B body wagons appealing.:)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Haha, SO TRUE!

I certainly didn't buy my wagons and my Caprice for their fuel economy, but they do get pretty good mileage considering they weigh 4500+ lbs and carry a powerhouse under the hood...

I am glad to see that others are getting the same mileage as me in the winter since this is my first LT1 (the others have the old 5.7TBI and the L99)

And I don't think there is any harm in finding small modifications to help with gas mileage. Any little bit helps!

B-Body's are awesome nonetheless!
a tbi lt1??

I,m confused,.
A tbi powerhouse?
i,m more confused,.
28mpg,. from a gen 1 tbi?
wow,. now i,m amazed,...

nick

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought my wagon for exactly that reason. I had a chevy venture, that on it's best day would get 22MPG on the highway. It had no balls and it looked exactly like every other minivan in the lot. My first 93 caprice wagon got 19 with mixed driving and 24 on all interstate driving. My 95 averages around 17 mixed driving and 24-25 on the highway. To me...this is the what makes the B body wagons appealing.:)
:D:) Yes yes, definitely another plus to these rare breeds!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree. I was getting around 20+ (combined city/hwy) in my L99 9C1, and after reading online a bit, I expected about the same out of the 93 L05 wagon I got to replace it. It didnt disappoint me. I've got a best of 26mpg.

Now that I have an 80 mile round trip to work, and with a good bit of that being mountain, I'm only getting 15-18mpg. I considered the idea of getting *shudders* a CRX with a B16something swap, but realized that I cant go from a tank to something that doesn't quite qualify as a beer can without going crazy. So I buy gas every three days.

About the smallest car I can drive without going nuts is a fox mustang. So I may keep my eyes out for a four banger. After all, I am a ford guy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My last '95 wgn got 26mpg hwy, w/ ac on, cruising 80mph. My current '95 wgn barely gets 21 hwy (14-17 mixed)... The first 1 had over 100k on the clock... I just hit 81k in this one... Maybe that has something to do with it too... Tried several ECM tunings too... Best so far is w/ the HyperTech, believe it or not!

BTW, had the rack taken off this wagon 3 years ago... didn't notice any mpg changes as a result. And my old wagon had the rack on for its best of 26mpg... Kept in the rear position (spoiler style basket handle), it offers minimal drag anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I drove from Green Bay to Detroit pretty much non stop (got lucky in Chicago) doing 70 MPH with no air conditioning on and topped out at about 24 MPG, I don't believe anything higher than 25 to be honest.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I didn't see any improvements with the rack off the car. Stays 23 mpg highway

·
Registered
994 Posts
The tow-pack cars will never get 26 MPG, because of the gears, but my dads 94 roadmaster sedan (non tow pack car) made 26 MPG on the highway. It also ran up to 52 MPH in 1st gear, whereas my 96 RMW with tow-pack only runs up to 40 MPH in 1st gear.

Gearing is where the milage is at.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts