Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some trouble, quick response appreciated.

I installed a new water pump, power steering pump, and distributor. Had to change a connector on the engine harness for the distributor because it wouldn't connect with the one on the distributor. It was the same connector as the original, it just wouldn't click on. Made sure to do each wire one at a time so it wouldn't get mixed up. Put everything together and the car won't fire up. It sounds like it's misfiring, but I verified all the wires are in the correct places.

I didn't think it was possible to install an optispark distributor incorrectly because it only goes on one way since it's keyed, but that's what it sounds like when it's trying to start.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
when you put opti on did it fit EXACTLT flush with TC or was there a "slight" gap. The later means the cam dowel was not in the right slot on the clover leaf of opti

what brand of opti?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when you put opti on did it fit EXACTLT flush with TC or was there a "slight" gap. The later means the cam dowel was not in the right slot on the clover leaf of opti

what brand of opti?
It's supposedly an ACDelco Brand that I got on eBay. It does have an inspection sticker on it signifying it's legit.

But there is no gap between the TC and Opti, and I didn't need to force it on with the bolts.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Getting spark?
Check for continuity wire end to wire end of opti harness.
My replacement had a terminal that wasn't even crimped correctly :rolleyes:

Don't forget to check the obvious...
opti connector(S) fully seated, unplugged coil or icm connector(s).

For future reference, the plug can be made to work by simply cutting the incorrect tab off inside the plug.
Why they still cannot use the correct plug housing boggles the freakin' mind.
I mean seriously it's been an ongoing issue for years, you'd think by now they'd sort/figure it out!

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting spark?
Check for continuity wire end to wire end of opti harness.
My replacement had a terminal that wasn't even crimped correctly :rolleyes:
I'll have to check this.

Don't forget to check the obvious...
opti connector(S) fully seated, unplugged coil or icm connector(s).
Double checked that, and made sure all the plug wires were connected to the correct terminals.
The Opti Connector came with the unit and is shrink wrapped in place. I could cut it open to check it, but I really like how it's shielded from the elements. I'll try this if I remove the opti and find that it isn't installed incorrectly.

For future reference, the plug can be made to work by simply cutting the incorrect tab off inside the plug.
Why they still cannot use the correct plug housing boggles the freakin' mind.
I mean seriously it's been an ongoing issue for years, you'd think by now they'd sort/figure it out!
Well at least I'm not the only one to have this issue.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
OP

IDK what the AC Delco "remanufactured" Optis look like compared to the originals but the remans are considered the best of what is available today. WTF they put a connector with a tab on it IDK but this has been known for awhile now. Quick hit with a Dremal fixes it from what I hear.

I have never been able to get a Opti on other than with dowel pin lined up to the right slot on Opti so IDK if you can even bolt it on without forcing it on with the bolts. Maybe its possible but I don't believe the dowel pin fits in the other 2 slots of the opti. It you can than the car would not start and likely backfire through the intake a few times

If your Opti is a offshore clone than those have been known to be bad out of the box

How much $ was your Opti?

As mentioned confirm you have everything plugged back in correctly

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OP

IDK what the AC Delco "remanufactured" Optis look like compared to the originals but the remans are considered the best of what is available today. WTF they put a connector with a tab on it IDK but this has been known for awhile now. Quick hit with a Dremal fixes it from what I hear.

I have never been able to get a Opti on other than with dowel pin lined up to the right slot on Opti so IDK if you can even bolt it on without forcing it on with the bolts. Maybe its possible but I don't believe the dowel pin fits in the other 2 slots of the opti. It you can than the car would not start and likely backfire through the intake a few times

If your Opti is a offshore clone than those have been known to be bad out of the box

How much $ was your Opti?

As mentioned confirm you have everything plugged back in correctly
The Opti was like 400 bucks from a seller with good feedback on ebay. It's the only place I could find ACDelco Optis. As far as the alignment, it seemed to drop in and I did not need to force it on with the bolts. After struggling with the stupid thing for a while I was thrilled that I finally got it on. After it wouldn't start I was about ready to start punching holes in walls.

What I'll have to do is diagnose it to see if it's bad... if it is then I'm burned unless I can somehow get ACDelco to honor it as a warranty item. I'd rather just take it off and find out I somehow managed to get it on the wrong notch because that I can fix.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But here's a stupid question... why have those other two notches in the first place? Why not just have ONE notch where the stupid pin goes in?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Take opti off of timing cover, leave wiring harness plugged in, turn ignition on,
spin opti wheel and listen to hear injectors click.
That will tell you if its good or not.

Another test you could do is take new opti off, put old (or known good) opti back on (if it still worked),
Hook the wires back up and see if the car fires up (don't need to put the water pump back on for this test).

Nab

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay, printed up the ABITS explanation and diagnosis guide (at work shhhhhhh ;) )
It's already in the other thread linked here by angelo, but here's a link to the actual diagno

http://thefleshrocket.com/images/cars/caprice_ss/OPTI_ABITS-Training Document-REV-B.pdf

When I get home I'll do my due diligence with the DVOM and test light and make sure there is power where there's supposed to be power, and the appropriate amount. Then I'll try to test for spark (gonna be challenging without somebody else to turn the key while I watch the tester but I'll manage).

If everything looks good then I'll have to assume it's installed incorrectly somehow.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Take opti off of timing cover, leave wiring harness plugged in, turn ignition on,

Another test you could do is take new opti off, put old (or known good) opti back on (if it still worked),
Hook the wires back up and see if the car fires up (don't need to put the water pump back on for this test).

Nab
Yeah, this time I was definitely going to check my work before putting it all back together. On the bright side at least I still have two gallons of mixed coolant on the ready, and I only put in one gallon this time... if I'm lucky I won't spill much out of the block this time around, and I won't have to empty the radiator at all.

*EDIT*
The Old Opti did work fine when I took it off. I changed it preemptively because the car has almost 210k on it, and I've never changed the distributor since I got the car at 125k.

I will note that without even taking the Opti off, the fuel injects DO seem to be working because there was a very strong gasoline smell when I tried cranking it over. The fact that it popped and backfired tells me it's getting spark... but whether or not the timing is off because it's physically installed incorrectly or having an electrical issue is what needs to be determined.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
Since I have never installed a Opti wrong in terms of the opti slot for the cam dowel I just checked a cam and my spare AC Delco opti

No way it goes on anything but right. The other 2 slots are too narrow to fit the cam dowel

if one did mis align the opti they would have to seriously wrench it in using the bolts. Also the 3 clover leaf circles that go around the 3 cam bolts would not line up

Either your new opti is bad or some ignition wire is corrupt or not connected right...or your ICM and or coil decided to shiat the bed coincidentally when you did the opti swap (read not likely)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Believe some of the aftermarket knock off opti's go on incorrectly far easier than the AC Delco does.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Take opti off of timing cover, leave wiring harness plugged in, turn ignition on, (REMOVE FUEL PUMP RELAY)

Nab
Fixed ;)

Also can run coil wire through a spark plug to ground.
Test spinning before installing is always a good test.
While it won't show timing errors , it tests just about everything else.

To check for gross assembly error, sit the old opti back on and compare rotor position to the new one.
This will show if it is way out, unfortunately it will not show a couple few degrees that I fear many non OE optisparks may be out by.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Since I have never installed a Opti wrong in terms of the opti slot for the cam dowel I just checked a cam and my spare AC Delco opti

No way it goes on anything but right. The other 2 slots are too narrow to fit the cam dowel

if one did mis align the opti they would have to seriously wrench it in using the bolts. Also the 3 clover leaf circles that go around the 3 cam bolts would not line up

Either your new opti is bad or some ignition wire is corrupt or not connected right...or your ICM and or coil decided to shiat the bed coincidentally when you did the opti swap (read not likely)
Well, we'll have to see... I'm fuming right now because I'm at work and I've been here all day just stewing on all the possibilities and the less likely it seems that I installed it incorrectly the more likely it seems that the new Opti is bad and not only does that mean I have to take off the WP and HB, but it means that I got B-O-N-E-D by some sheister on eBay and THAT is raising my blood pressure.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Fixed ;)

Also can run coil wire through a spark plug to ground.
Test spinning before installing is always a good test.
While it won't show timing errors , it tests just about everything else.

To check for gross assembly error, sit the old opti back on and compare rotor position to the new one.
This will show if it is way out, unfortunately it will not show a couple few degrees that I fear many non OE optisparks may be out by.
If it comes down to it, what I may do is clean out the old opti and swap over all the parts from the new one to it and hope it lasts. In that case I would have been better off just buying a GD cap and rotor for a lot less. :mad:

Unless what you're suggesting is that they put the rotor on incorrectly, in which case I guess that's not horrible as long as I can correct it.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Okay, printed up the ABITS explanation and diagnosis guide (at work shhhhhhh ;) )
It's already in the other thread linked here by angelo, but here's a link to the actual diagno
Glad you got the document, as I couldn't salvage the dropbox account or the Yahoo! Email account since they never got used.

We'll just have to keep it around thru users or myself here, unless we figure out another way for all to have access to it.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad you got the document, as I couldn't salvage the dropbox account or the Yahoo! Email account since they never got used.

We'll just have to keep it around thru users or myself here, unless we figure out another way for all to have access to it.
I saved it on my personal computer already. Definitely very very useful!

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back home and looking up pictures of cap and rotor sets, but I don't see many pictures of the bottom of the rotor itself... without seeing the bottom of the rotor, it's difficult to tell if it is possible to install one backwards, but from just seeing topside pictures it looks like there are two small screws that hold it in place on top.

Found this video, and this does kind of look like the one I have, but the connector on top which feeds the signal to the PCM is pre-installed with shrink wrap around the connector to keep it from coming loose, and the stem also looks more like the original one that came off my car which is encouraging.

If I can't figure out what's going on with a DVOM and test light, I'm going to pick up the tools to take it apart from harbor freight and see if it's got a Mitsubishi sensor on the inside. That'll be the best way for sure to know what I've got. I'll also double check the rotor for correct installation. It's very tricky looking at the inside of the system with this video... it looks like there's a third pin in between the two screw holes for the rotor that keys in the rotor in the correct orientation HOWEVER the rotor itself does NOT seem to have a pin to go into that key hole at the appropriate place... so backwards installation of the rotor DOES seem possible. Whether or not this is my issue is yet to be seen, but having potential solutions is encouraging!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts