Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just up on streetbeat customs website, and was looking at dropped spindles. They had a note there that said that the 2" drop spindles would not work with Stock SS wheels?

Am I reading something wrong?

This is what they had

Fits Chevrolet (Chevy) Caprice / Buick Roadmaster Wagon Sedan / Impala SS 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996. Design Details: B Design detail definitions. Picture shown is a generic picture and does not represent product exactly.

Well DEsign detail <b> B </b> says
(B) Spindle will not work with stock Impala SS
wheels.

SO, is this right, or am I reading something wrong?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem is twofold :</font>
  1. The drop is really about 3", not 2".</font>
  2. The spindles also push out the wheels slightly.</font>
Net result is that when used with the "lower" SS springs (well, relative to stock Caprice or Roadmaster springs) the wheels will rub on the inner fender towards the outside of the car. You will PROBABLY clear though with Roadmaster or Caprice (esp 9C1) springs.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Net result is that when used with the "lower" SS springs (well, relative to stock Caprice or Roadmaster springs) the wheels will rub on the inner fender towards the outside of the car. You will PROBABLY clear though with Roadmaster or Caprice (esp 9C1) springs.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
So, let me see here, a little too much drop, combined with stock rate springs, AND increased scrub radius, which our cars have toom uch of already with the 8.5" wide wheels.... hmmm, not to appealing. Any thoughts on the AIM spindles. Are they the same, or a different design?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do a search on AIM.....I think you'll find that the phrase "Really Crappy Quality Control" is being a little too kind to them

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couldn't you just run a shorter tire too eliminate some rubbing with the belltech spindles?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A shorter tire will help but not all that much. I think that the verdict is out on drop spindles - steer clear. Something that people seldom mention in regards to these is that they really decrease your turning radius, also (tire hits swaybar and frame as I recall). I had dropped spindles and they were no fun. That said you can run them with stock ss wheels, I just wouldn't use tires I was fond of.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got those AIM spindles on my wagon, my stock wheels fit without a problem.
I sold some of those to a guy with a caprice years back when I worked at AIM, to this date he hasn’t had any problems, I do have in stock AIM or BELTECH spindles.
Call AIM talk to Travis or Yuri tell them Jimmer said not to jack you on shipping.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have AIM spindles on my wagon with stock wagon springs and impala SS wheels. I do have a little rubbing on the swaybar but only at full lock.

No other problems to date. Had them on there for a few months.

Mark / CC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts