Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have marker and head lights but no turn signals or 4 way flashers.

There is no nose like you would normally hear with a relay.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Try replacing the flasher?

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where/IS there a flasher/turn-signal relay??

I'm can't seem to locate one in the manual?

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blown fuse? i think its a 15a
ALL fuses were checked a DVOM showing continuity between the leads (Nipples) on each end (Plastic side).

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
The flashers and turn signals use different relays. If both of them are not working it is not the relays. Check for power to the column, and the convenience center to the left of the steering column. You could have a bad ground for the lights.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
WOW - how did you get here?

Was this resolved by the wiring problem you found in the other thread?

Or did you have all these problems and just working thru them one at a time?

Possibly a lot of these issues are related..

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW - how did you get here?

Was this resolved by the wiring problem you found in the other thread?

Or did you have all these problems and just working thru them one at a time?

Possibly a lot of these issues are related..
Now with a junkyard wiring harness for the rear tail light assy, I have the same problem. One filament of the 1157s is barely lit along with the the marker lights.

NOW I have no audible tone from the convenience center when I have the parkign lamps on with the ignition off.

I -barely- have a horn at thus time as well.

I'm at a real loss, especially after replacing the turn signal/hazzard signal assemby.. And STILL NOT having any turn/hazzard lamp.

Lot of people have said faulty GNDS, but WHERE would I look for them?

I have done the BIG-3 upgrade and have redundant radiator to battery connection, as well as engine block to radiator support grounding.

I'm at a complete loss, since this has gone from just bad to WORSE!!

Thoughts on where to go next??

·
Registered
581 Posts
With multiple things not working I would seriously look at the turn signal switch assembly. Its right under the steering wheel and airbag clockspring and has a bundle of wires that goes from it to the bottom of the steering column. In this bundle of wires you have among other things turn signals, brake lights, hazards, wipers, and horn. Some or all of the wires may be frayed through causing the horn and turn signals to not work. They commonly fray at or around where the steering column tilts at, a known issue with our cars and many many other GM vehicles as the same turn signal assembly has been used for the better part of 30 years, though in some newer vehicles like the Lumina's and Monte Carlo's from the 90's use a different module. If you find the wires are frayed and damaged you can get a replacement from Rock Auto for less than $35(plus shipping) and should be able to get it from any auto parts store as well. And the reason I suggest the turn signal assembly is because the turn signal switch has the brake signal from the pedal going to it so that it can flash the correct side while having the other side be solid when the brake pedal is depressed. - Peter

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With multiple things not working I would seriously look at the turn signal switch assembly. Its right under the steering wheel and airbag clockspring and has a bundle of wires that goes from it to the bottom of the steering column. In this bundle of wires you have among other things turn signals, brake lights, hazards, wipers, and horn. Some or all of the wires may be frayed through causing the horn and turn signals to not work. They commonly fray at or around where the steering column tilts at, a known issue with our cars and many many other GM vehicles as the same turn signal assembly has been used for the better part of 30 years, though in some newer vehicles like the Lumina's and Monte Carlo's from the 90's use a different module. If you find the wires are frayed and damaged you can get a replacement from Rock Auto for less than $35(plus shipping) and should be able to get it from any auto parts store as well. And the reason I suggest the turn signal assembly is because the turn signal switch has the brake signal from the pedal going to it so that it can flash the correct side while having the other side be solid when the brake pedal is depressed. - Peter
Replaced yesteday. I think the problem with the barely lit signal lamps, and barely horn was that the diconnected battery (for a week) was down to 8.4V!! (7 yeard old red-top).

I put her on the charger overnight, hopefully I'll have good results.

Once I get some daylight, I'll see what happens. I would assume there wasn't enough voltage to engage the turn/flashers.

Thanks Peter!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts