Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get my 1996 impala up to full thottle on the interstate. Also it seems to have a loss of power at WOT.All of a sudden can't spin the tires and it drives like its clogged up when u floor it.No code either, Help.:confused:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Possibly fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator or throttle position sensor. Or worst case, fuel pump getting weak.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Take a look at the exhaust manifolds at night after a run and see if they are glowing red, could be a clogged cat. Time limit seems to be done for cat's at this age.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am having the same problems with my car but it is also backfiring and it happens when my car is hot and about to change gears like merging on the hi way or passing. My fuel pressure is good at my fuel rail I have brand new cats 1 mounth old, I hope it is not my opti because I do not want to do that again. Maybe we can help eachother with the same pro lems

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
Fill up the gas tank first and see if the no WOT goes away. My car requires at least 1/4 tank to floor it, otherwise the fuel sloshes away and I lose fuel pressure.

·
Registered
654 Posts
i have had these problems on other LT1s that i have owned in the past and here is what i learned...spend $89 and take it to the dealer and have them tell you exactly whats wrong with it or...you can take and spend hundreds of dollars on cats, pumps, sensors, opti, ignition, etc. trying to troubleshoot these rolling electrical nightmares only to still not have fixed the problem. Me personally, i have done both and seem to prefer the former to the latter. Reason I say this is because if you look at the thread so far, you have had at least 3 different people with the same problem and they all have had three different responses to the fix. When mines was doing it on my camaro and fleetwood, i replaced, tps, fuel pumps, optis, plugs, wires, sensors, etc and guess what...on my camaro, it was the EGR valve, and on my fleetwood it was the fuel pump. Both cars did the exact same thing as yours. Guess who told me what was wrong both times? The chevy dealer. They hooked it to a computer, ran it for awhile, played with some things, took them about 45 minutes, and BAM!! both times they were right only after I called myself troubleshooting and spending lots of unncessary money. It was a learning experience no doubt, but not something that i will do a third time with this 96 impala. If it evens hiccups the wrong way, im spending the money taking it to the dealer. just my 2 cents!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts