Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to do a head and cam on my stock lt1 what would be the best one for this hydr or solid?. i have 3.73s, 3000 9-11 tc, and tri-ys . id like it to bump hard at idle.dont care about smog.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How many miles do you have on the stock LT1? You're almost garanteed to spin a bearing sooner or later on a stock bottom end if you shift much beyond 6000.

If you want a real rumpety idle, get a cam with a narrow lobe separation. You might consider a custom solid roller that makes peak horsepower around 5000-5500 with a 110 or even 108 LSA. It would generate a very narrow power band, but the peak numbers would be awesome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think im going to hold off on the bottom end part, but heads intake and cam is what im looking for right now. the cars running 13.22 with ****ty street tires and the tri-y still in my shop and on the stock pcm.it would be nice to nock a second off my 13.22.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, for a stock bottom end, I'd recommend a Crane cam, part# 109821. You can also get this cam through GM as part# 12370845. It's the cam I was running, along with ported stock heads and a 3500 stall converter, when I ran the 12.65 listed in my sig.

The reason I like this cam for a stock bottom end is because it's biased in favor of torque. Even with ported heads, I was shifting at 6100 rpm. The max hp I ever saw on the dyno was 320 rwhp at 5700 rpm, but I made 354 ft/lbs torque at just 3500 rpm. (These numbers translate to about 400 fwhp and 440 ft/lbs flywheel torque.)

I installed the heads and cam at 75,000 miles on my motor, and ran it for 50,000 miles with no problems until I had the motor rebuilt and installed a nitrous cam. Frankly, had I known how wimpy the nitrous cam was going to be off the bottle, I'd have just stuck with the 845 and given up the extra couple of tenths the nitrous cam gives on the bottle. As it is, I think I'm going to have a custom cam ground once I can scrape the money together.

The 845 passed the sniffer test, although just barely, with cats on. The 845 will idle nicely at 900 rpm, or if you want to let people know you have a cam, set it to about 750 rpm or so and it WILL make itself known. Just be aware that a faster idle will help it pass the sniff test.

Hope this helps,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A N2O cam is designed to have earlier exhaust opening and a delayed Intake opening, All for gains when its on the spray....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It actually idles very mild, since the lobe separation is 116. It's faster than a stocker with similar mods by about 4mph in the quarter (I usually run 98-100mph). Best run so far has been 13.28 at 102mph in early spring. Saturday I'll be taking the car to Cecil for its inaugual run on the juice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Saturday I'll be taking the car to Cecil for its inaugual run on the juice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you bringing a change of underwear???

hey LT666,

You have to decide ahead of time if you want max power on the juice, or max power NA before you pick a cam. Early exhaust opening helps the N2O, but hurts NA.

My cam is slanted more towards the N2O side, so my NA runs aren't as good as I'd like, but my N2O runs are AWESOME!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.