Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there's a squicking noise comming from the rear drivers side wheel. It only makes it when the wheel is spining as soon as I hit the breaks it stops. Anybody know what it might be? :confused:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Probably your brake pads. Especially if the noise disappears when you step on the brakes.

Does it speed up when you speed up and visa-versa?

Peace.
Damage

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes.. I will change pads this weekend.what else could it be if noise doesn't disappears?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please describe noise better.
Don't know what 'squicking' means?

Sometimes a bad Axel Bearing related noise will disappear/lessen when you apply brakes.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK..did my rear brake pads this weekend and noise still there. If I speed up the squicking noise is faster slows down when I reduce the speed down, but goes away when I apply brakes....need help the noise is really irritating.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll guess "SQUEAKING" Axel Bearing.
If AB is toast, you'll need to replace Axel Shaft as well! :eek:

Have you installed improved Differential Cover Gasket[it improves rear lube getting to Axel Bearings]?
If not, you'll get a chance now, if Axel Bearing diagnosis is correct.
Fel-Pro PN RDS55028-1 or GM PN 26066456

ADD: Could also be front or rear Driveshaft Universal Joint.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes squeaking....Sorry. MAN, and I had the fluid change on my rear end about 4 months ago. Thaks for your help Larry

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope my squeaking is from the front! Ill see when I replace bearings and pads this week. :eek:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Ghetto Wagon:
I hope my squeaking is from the front! Ill see when I replace bearings and pads this week. :eek:
You better spell it right!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eric, suggestion; you or Gearhead friend remove rear driver side wheel[that is the one you think sqeaking is coming from, right?], and while grasping Rotor hat, try & move up & down to check play between Bearing and Axel Race. Should be minimal.
Also check back of tire/rim for signs of gear lube.
Once a Bearing wears enough, the Axel Seal usually fails also.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Larry, Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will jack up the car this weekend and check. I did look at the inside of my rim and rotor and there's no sign of gear oil.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AHH! Yeah I suck at spelling that word.

Well my squeak is still there. Quiter. It goes away when you hit bumps.. Then returns when you hit bumps again.

This is driving me mad. Any ideas?

Loud exhaust might help? :D ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric, did you have the rear rotors resurfaced when you put the new pads on ? If not, it is possible that the rotor is slightly warped, the runout of the rotor will "nick" the pads on the high spot and can sometimes cause a squeak. It can also move the pads on the caliper causing the same noise. The noise will go away if the brakes are applied, and in some case change or go away based on road conditions ;) This situation is amplified a little because the rear axle will move "in and out" slightly due to design.

HTH, Scott

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aww crap. I wonder if the rear was my problem.

But why... Would the rear brakes wear? They usally do not wear when the stealth bolt is not installed right?

I gotta go through old recipts that came w/ the car. Maybe the rear was done and the rotor was messed up like the front 1.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't have my rotors turned. It didn't look like it was need, but will do that this weekend and hopefully that will take care of the problem :(

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, did rotors this weekend and the noise is gone, but now I hear a squeak when I go over bumps. what can that be? Do I need new shocks?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn I got the same problem. Again.. haha!

I think It might be a swaybar endlink making that squeak when you go over bumps. I think that might be my problem.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by LarryCigar:
Eric, suggestion; you or Gearhead friend remove rear driver side wheel[that is the one you think sqeaking is coming from, right?], and while grasping Rotor hat, try & move up & down to check play between Bearing and Axel Race. Should be minimal.
Also check back of tire/rim for signs of gear lube.
Once a Bearing wears enough, the Axel Seal usually fails also.
i got hit in the tire and rear quarter panel last thursday and have the same problem, the noise is always there unless i apply the brakes. i took the tire off and changed to the full size spare, same thing. there is a new vibration above 55mph. i checked for any type of movement with the wheel off and the rear jacked up on the pumpkin. theres some seepage but no wetness on the axel. who do i get this checked out at other then the dealer?

the guy who hit me has no insurance, my insurance is trying to total out my car!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now is doing it while the wheel is spining again......damn it. I think Larry might be right and it might be the bearings. I hate that noise

O_loung1, I think you probably bent your axle that happened to me before with my 91 Z28 and it turned out to be the axle. I replaced it and the noise went away. I checked my wheel to see if the was axle was bent but it looked straight so I now is not that.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BLAAHH! I am in the same boat. Some days the squeak is alot louder then others. Just before it was making so much noise. It is def a right side noise. But where could it be comming from.

Would a siezed up caliper cause this? I am thinking maybe the right rear caliper might be gripping the rotor perhaps too tight. When you Pump the brakes the sound usaully dimishes. It is very unpredictable.

The car has been sitting. The car has 32k on it. 32k wouldent make me think that is enough for the car to have a axel problem. Or could I be wrong?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts