Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, check out my thread on the Subaru forum:

Anybody ever seen spark plugs fail like that? After a month from install?

I'm hoping I don't have other issues causing that kind of failure.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Those things got HOT. I've never seen a plug discolor like that, but you're probably right about the gasses being the culprit. I've heard of plugs failing like that, just never saw one in the flesh. I'd be super duper cautious next time installing or removing plugs from those holes. Anti seize, proper torque, prayer, etc.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were in all of 5 weeks! Nuts! Other plugs had been in at least two years and looked pretty mint coming out. No other engine changes, and no running issues til the noise started.

I DID call NGK after some buddies reached out to me about VERY convincing counterfeit NGK iridium plugs that they've seen and read about. Sounds like they were mostly sold through Amazon, which is exactly where these came from. The seller no longer sells them but is still active, so I reached out to them and Amazon as well, and in the meantime ordered some freshies from Summit, as NGK guaranteed me Summit will have the real deal.
In short, NGK admitted that even they sometimes have a hard time telling the knockoffs apart from the real deal, and the only way they could truly verify is if I sent them in, which I probably will. They're so similar that even the manufacturer can't tell them apart through photos!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts