Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My column key unlocks the wheel and shifter,but no feeling of ignition switch or starter spring back, (won't start) I can see the Sector,switch Actuator and Rack,Switch Actuator and they look like there moving correctly. The rod to the switch don't move. I think it might be the actuator assy.(Can;t see it}...Can these parts be bought new? where?.....Oldhead

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Probably cheaper/easier to get another column from a salvage yard. Swapping out individual parts if you absolutely must...

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
There is a small fork that pushes the rod. It is probably broken. I have one if that is the issue. The part is #44, circled in white.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to thank you two guys

I wish I could post pictures like you.Fred: Can you call me ,My 77 yearold wife might answer and her mind is not working good,So take it slow with her please. I was thinking #86 might be the problem....I am thinking about changing the whole shaft and wheel because my friend has one. Can I buy new parts???Do I need the key for the new shaft to remove the lock cause I want to rekey it cause my lock fits loose PLEASE CALL ME THANKS

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Switch #36 in the drawing triggers the warning chime if you leave the key in the ignition. It is extremely easy to break, and there are no new parts available, that I know of. You must remove it if you want to change the tumbler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts