·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Very clean car for Boston!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you read the ad? Says it spent most of it's life in California... Either way looks like a great find for the right buyer, they aren't building them like this any more.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Did you read the ad? Says it spent most of it's life in California...
[SNIP]
No, not at all, I just looked at the pix and bailed.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It's a 4.3 engine which doesn't exactly make it sought after. Not sure what's the big deal about the wheels, you see them on all B bodies.

Tom

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't notice it was only a 4.3, and I've only seen those wheels on SS variants around New England... Seems an odd model that was a 'base' edition, but with what seems every option checked.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I don't believe you could order the Impala Wheels/Tires on a Caprice when purchasing the car back in the day. Most likely, someone just added those to that car at some point in it's life. Not an uncommon mod and we've seen them wheels on Caddy's and Roadmasters too.

While that does seem like a very nice, clean and low mileage car. It is typical of a Dealer to over inflate the price. No way in heck I would pay any where near that asking price....especially with the small motor.

....and BTW - The Corvette Emblem on HomePlate just looks "tacky as hell". I know they want to advertise the "Corvette Style V8" motor and all, but it's not even a 5.7L

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I noticed the emblem on home plate too, and I didn't think you could order SS alloys on a Caprice. I wouldn't pay more than 3200$ for this one. Still a decent ride, I'm a sucker for big sedans, even if it only has the smaller V8. I bet it is probably still faster than the 4.6L in my 97 Grand Marquis, it's great on gas when you baby it, but at only 190hp, it feels just a tad under powered.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Yeah I noticed the emblem on home plate too, and I didn't think you could order SS alloys on a Caprice. I wouldn't pay more than 3200$ for this one. Still a decent ride, I'm a sucker for big sedans, even if it only has the smaller V8. I bet it is probably still faster than the 4.6L in my 97 Grand Marquis, it's great on gas when you baby it, but at only 190hp, it feels just a tad under powered.

The L99(4.3) is very solid and easy on the glass 4L60e's that come in these cars. My first caprice was a loaded L99 car. I bought it with 74 k and sold it with 175 k without any issues. It was a slow(not terrible) car but no major issues. Great driver cars.. You use to be able to buy a kit from the dealer for ss wheels and they were super cheap. I'm sure that is what they did here.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The SS wheels were only available on the SS. They would have been added afterward to this car. Not an uncommon swap, as there was a time the wheels were available super cheap from the GM parts departments that were internet savvy (ie; Dal Slabaugh @ Van Devere).

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
You use to be able to buy a kit from the dealer for ss wheels and they were super cheap.
Yes you could and it was a pretty complete kit too. IIRC it even included the Lug Nuts and Valve Stems and think they were in that $500 range for all 4 wheels, caps and the other items. Pretty much all you needed except for the Tires. Those days are long gone unless you see something pop up on Ebay or someone selling a used set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts