Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a minute to decide which topic for posting this. Here's a copy of e-mail notice of a recent PM. After all these decades on the forum I'll admit it's a new wrinkle --- on an old theme:

Dear 96 Black,

You have received a new private message at Chevy Impala SS Forum from MAALI85, entitled "96 Black, your sincere invitation from TOPDON".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
Hi 96 Black,
Thank you for your time. I am Ella from TOPDON. We specialize in high quality OBD2/EOBD Scanners that allow users to diagnose their automobiles easily. I am reaching out to you on the possibility of getting an editorial review for our featured Auto Code Scanner on this forum.
This is a portable set of diagnostic scan tool with practical functions. It works on most vehicles made after 1996, including newer OBD II and CAN compliant vehicles. Simple-to-use connection and operation (One click I/M readiness) make it nice; the support of the three languages makes it a favor. Have the processing of troubleshooting the problems, covering reading and erasing DTCs, and turning off MIL, viewing freeze frame data, reading current, pending and permanent codes, and showing definitions. Besides, it supports effective monitoring and update.
You can discover more about the product detail from the following link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M6KHDH

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TopdonOfficial

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Topdon_Official

If you are interested in reviewing our latest Auto Code Scanner, please let me know and I will send out a free sample for you to review. Please email me at xiangguoxiangqing [at] gmail [dot] com. Please provide links to the forum home page, and tell me your name on that forum.
Thank you so much for reading. I really appreciate your great assistance for us.
Regards,
Ella

Ok. I don't mind the next guy (or gal) tryna make a living, so 'Ella' has my vote for entreprenury- entreepree- plain 'ol gumption. I don't got nothing against Asian sounding email addys. I certainly don't mind free $HTi. And I get all goose-bumpelly when seeing a PM!

But put them all together and here's the bottom-line:
1.I didn't click any of the Amazon, FB or NitTwit links, and,
2.I didn't click on the actual PM - just deleted it, and,
3.I didn't look up the poster's profile.

It might be just a humorous twist on the Nigerian heir scam. It might be a trojan bot worm. It could be a PW phisher. It could even be legit (but as my wife would say, I Don't F Think So).

I would just appreciate if Admin take some basic study to eradicate these from the forum. Maybe a minimum # of posts before PMing just like FS???

Cheers

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Got same pm other day. Was wondering if anyone else did.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I got it, too. I wanted to reply that I'd be happy to take him up on his offer if he sent one of those knock off Tech 2s that I've been looking into for some of my other vehicles. Something tells me he's more willing to send a free $35 scan tool (that only reads codes).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Considering the country of origin, and with my luck it'd be such a horrendous pile of knock-off bantha fodder, that as soon as I plugged it into a diagnostic port I'd fry a PCM. I've never gotten a PM like that before, but I'm newer to the forum and also haven't posted nearly as much on here as you guys. That email address though, looks like what happens when you just start smacking the keyboard with your fists. Reason why I won't try to learn Chinese #3,478.

EDIT: I do have to give the guy props though, it looks like he actually knows how to speak English. Usually it's translated so badly that I can't make heads or tails of it. I see a lot of "Chinglish" on ebay listings of cheap knock-off things that ship directly directly from China for absurdly low prices.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I got the same PM from this new member with Zero Posts and I have a ODB1 car anyway. I did not open the link or would I recommend anyone open any links from a not known sender.

I forwarded this PM to "admin" who thanked me for the heads up and promptly "Banned" our new friend. Bamboo shoots under the fingernails of ALL spammers. Maybe this is a better form of punishment so they can't type for a while.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aaaahhh.... I love the smell of Jeff Beck wailing away on an axe on a Sunday morning.

You know Misc seems a little dead before the holidays. Someone should do a thread on some of the neater scams floating around.

·
Administrator
448 Posts
Thanks for reporting this, guys.

This member has already been reported and banned. We can look at implementing spam prevention features like having a required amount of posts in order to send PMs, as well as posting images/links/emails.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Cheers,
Natalie

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
i have an email account just for this crap.
I am playing along so far to see what happens.
I'll let you know.
-ALF out....

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Thanks for reporting this, guys.

This member has already been reported and banned. We can look at implementing spam prevention features like having a required amount of posts in order to send PMs, as well as posting images/links/emails.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Cheers,
Natalie
Hi Natalie,

I like the idea of having minimum posts before being able to PM someone....but, it almost seems unfair to others. I only say this cause often times I have been PM'd by fairly new members with technical questions who don't always want to post up a thread. Maybe they are afraid of being slammed over some "newb" question so they reach out directly.

In any case, if you do this maybe make it a smaller number of posts like 5 or 10 so that the new "valid" members aren't blocked out too much. IIRC - Topdon had zero posts and posting up 5 could have been a challenge for a spammer not really knowing our cars/Forum.

Just my $.02

·
Administrator
448 Posts
I think the best step would be to hold off for now. This has been a rare thing so far, just one spammer getting into it. Unless it happens more, I don't think we have much to worry about

Kevin

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
This dude was busy...
-ALF out...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably a dry hole with that last site as far as dupes go, but it appears that fella's "hit-rate" for those first 4 sites should be quite high.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I think the best step would be to hold off for now. This has been a rare thing so far, just one spammer getting into it. Unless it happens more, I don't think we have much to worry about

Kevin
That makes sense rather than changing rules that affects all new users.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
nothing happened, i never got my free parts....WTF !? Haa
-ALF out...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts